Gibson Brands Forums

J45 - '68 or 69? Value Range?

latestart

It's a 1969. Suare shoulder j-45 j-50 were made in this configuration, (Gibson pearloid?? headstock inlay, teardrop tortise pg, j-45 or j-50 on trc, belly down adjustable bridge, 25.50" scale, 1.72" nut, no inside sound hole sticker, no inside back seam cover strip.) The serial numbers of the period overlap with the 1968 numbers and were probably constucted or partially built in 1968 and earlier. They were sold in 1969 and 1970 as Diamond Jubilee Models for Gibson's 75th anniversary. The 1970 model has the "Made in USA" stamp below the serial number. 1970 was the first year that Gibson put the stamp on all their guitars.

m

Thanks - that pretty much nails this guitar.

Headed over to GC and played two J45-Standards; 1969 is holding up so far. I didn't have them side-by-side, but still I didn't feel like it was giving up a lot in play-ability or sound... further into the rabbit hole... guess I will have to find out more about the pricing on the vintage...

1969 J45 -- dream guitars...

Both sound kinda sweet to me...

You also want it to sound better :) so the comparison might not be objective.

I have a '68 round shoulder, braced like the earlier 60s ones. The ones like yours are known to be more miss than hit, but as everyone has said, it all comes down to subjectivity of your particular one. Lotta good info in this thread, I hope you've learned a lot about what you have.

I'm not going to be as nice as some others giving you true-value price estimates- unless demand for 70s Gibson acoustics changes dramatically, you're looking at a $1000 guitar on a good day, with a low end of prob $500 for a clunker. It's a cheap way for someone to get a gibson acoustic, even if they're acknowledging they're not getting something truly "vintage". Everyone knows about the drop off in quality that started in 69, and people can buy a modern used j45 for $1500 that is going to blow it out of the water.

70s fenders are starting to gain popularity as 60s models keep getting rare and expensive, so you never know, but if you're concerned about its value, unfortunately there's good reason for that concern.

• 5 years later...

I own a Square Shoulder J45 Deluxe, Tobacco Brown. It sported Kluson tuners, and the fancy pickguard, with white V inlay on rear scrap plug area, neck to body heel white cap, it featured a real fast slender neck profile. It was notably lighter than any other J45 I ever p[icked up, due it's thin spruce top (which I measured at just over 1/8").  Maybe someone mod'd it? I checked out SN and I seemed to think it was 1978. But I easily could be wrong as SN listings can be confusing. 

It's still my favorite.

Later,

Billy

12 hours ago, GrievousAngel said:

I own a Square Shoulder J45 Deluxe, Tobacco Brown. It sported Kluson tuners, and the fancy pickguard, with white V inlay on rear scrap plug area, neck to body heel white cap, it featured a real fast slender neck profile. It was notably lighter than any other J45 I ever p[icked up, due it's thin spruce top (which I measured at just over 1/8").  Maybe someone mod'd it? I checked out SN and I seemed to think it was 1978. But I easily could be wrong as SN listings can be confusing. 

It's still my favorite.

Later,

Billy

A 1/8" (.125)" top would be on the thicker side.  Thin would be 3/32" (.094").  I do not think anyone is about to push the envelope to go any thinner.    I believe though that Gibson blueprints called for the stiffer .125" tops during the 1970s.

Edited by zombywoof

On 11/25/2015 at 11:25 AM, cunningham26 said:

You also want it to sound better 🙂 so the comparison might not be objective.

I have a '68 round shoulder, braced like the earlier 60s ones. The ones like yours are known to be more miss than hit, but as everyone has said, it all comes down to subjectivity of your particular one. Lotta good info in this thread, I hope you've learned a lot about what you have.

I'm not going to be as nice as some others giving you true-value price estimates- unless demand for 70s Gibson acoustics changes dramatically, you're looking at a $1000 guitar on a good day, with a low end of prob $500 for a clunker. It's a cheap way for someone to get a gibson acoustic, even if they're acknowledging they're not getting something truly "vintage". Everyone knows about the drop off in quality that started in 69, and people can buy a modern used j45 for $1500 that is going to blow it out of the water.

70s fenders are starting to gain popularity as 60s models keep getting rare and expensive, so you never know, but if you're concerned about its value, unfortunately there's good reason for that concern.

six years later I stand by my assessment- 70s Gibson acoustics definitely havent seen much of a shift in desirability, certainly not in the same way as the electrics have!