Gibson Brands Forums

ever break a ......... Neck?

Hall

As a project, I've been repairing an old 70ies severely wounded square shouldered SJ since Nov. in all aspects of its parts (cracked back, split bridge back to original, frets, fretboard, neck binding, new truss rod ready, and pending neck reset, etc). It has a very poorly repaired break at the heel of the headstock now left as the main issue. I can not identify or soften the glu used and have no option left except to re-break. Anyone done this one before?

Steve

edit:

ballcorner, just saw your post, wish it would have also had a headstock repair!

Steve

As a project' date=' I've been repairing an old 70ies severely wounded square shouldered SJ since Nov. in all aspects of its parts (cracked back, split bridge back to original, frets, fretboard, neck binding, new truss rod ready, and pending neck reset, etc). It has a very poorly repaired break at the heel of the headstock now left as the main issue. I can not identify or soften the glu used and have no option left except to re-break. Anyone done this one before?

Steve[/quote']

If the glue has failed to soften with solvents and heat, it is likely an epoxy. If possible, I would try to cut the section out and replace it with similar wood attached with dowels.

I don't imagine this one is going to be easy at all, but I do applaud your efforts to save the guitar.

Thanks, ballcorner. I'll work at it as you have suggested first before trying the scary way. If I can get this done, I am in business the rest of the way and will have one fine hog.

Steve

Archived