Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Dr 100

leo96

Hi all :

I got a Dr 100 for Christmas . I really did not touch until now since after Christmas I was going away a few days until new years. I'm new a beginner I always wanted to learn guitar so my family bought me this model. I don not know much about guitars but it sounds great , looks great too, I have the ebony model. I have the USA model , from what I understand some come from china . since I am in Argentina I was tol from the music store that is is the model imported fromn the States. its all original with the strings that came along with the guitar from what I was told. my question is if asomeone could tell me if the strings from factory are the 12 gauge or what gauge strings comes with this model out of the box ? from the specifications it says daddario 12 , but I want to make sure which are the ones that are shipped with the guitar. im thinking of putting on some 10 strings since my fingers are not used to playing and im also crying since they are a bit thick. so to make it simple out of the box does the guitar come with 12 strings or lesser gauge ? the salesman at the store was just a kid and really was not sure and the owner was on holidays at the time I asked, so I decided to comer here and ask the experts !

thanks in advancxe , best regards great year all

regards

leo

Welcome to the forum and congrats on a great guitar. I bought a DR100 a couple of years ago as one that I wouldn't mind if it got dinged. All Epi acoustic's come from the factory with "12's" (so their rep tells me). I've been using D'Addario EXP 16 lights, 12-53 for as long as I can remember on all my acoustics with pretty good luck. If you drop down to 10's you may need a setup done, so be aware of that. In any event, welcome again, and congrats.

Hola y bienvenidos Leo,

Unless the store changed the strings then yes your guitar has D'addario 12's on it. 10's will be much easier on your fingers but will change the tone a lot, I would advise 11's and only play for short periods of time in the beginning until your fingers toughen up. It is also possible that the action (the space between the strings and the frets) is too high and the guitar needs a setup, do you have anyone who could take a look for you?

I don't want to sound negative about your new guitar but all Epiphones are made in Asia, either China or Indonesia, regardless of where the store imported it from. This is not a bad thing, I have 3 Epiphone acoustics, all made in Indonesia and I wouldn't part with any of them.

Good luck as you start a long and wonderful journey with your new guitar and if you have any more questions and somebody here can help then I'm sure they will.

Thank you irish and dennis for the reply . I'll stick with these strings for the time being and yes I won't be able to play every day , but I"ll try every other day. The origin really does not matter, it probably is from Indonesia or china but it is very well built from what I can see. I.m happy that this is my first guitar. ill take very well acre of it since here in argentina the cost is 300 dollars due to taxes and import duties. For the moment im at guitar tricks taking the lessons step by step , day by day and practicing everything that is taught on the lesson and I do not move forward until I really nail that lesson down !!

so thanks again and any question or doubts ill come back .

great 2016 to all you guys !!

regards and thanks again , gracias !!

Leo

• 2 months later...

Although I own a Martin and have owned other high end guitars (Gibson Guild etc), I'm a huge fan of the Epiphone DR-100. IMO it's the best bang for the buck guitar going out there. Especially at the beginner level. My 2 cent on what strings to use are Martin 80/20 light gauge. They will brighten it up considerably. Don't forget a good set up. They come from factory with high action that can be lowered quite a bit for MUCH more comfortable playing. You get one of these DR-100 set up right with some 80/20 lights on it, and it'll sound/play like a much more expensive guitar. I'd rather play my DR-100 than the Gibson J-45 I owned.

Archived