Gibson Brands Forums

Should I buy Alnico 2 Classic Humbuckers for my Epiphone Dot 335?

Billy Thompson

Hi,

I have an Epiphone Dot 335 and am changing the pickups to gold. I was looking for the same pickups as in there at the minute but can't seem to find them on eBay in gold. I saw these Alnico 2 Classic Humbuckers for bridge and neck. The reviews on them are good but 1 would they fit my guitar and 2 are they any good and worth buying. Please recommend any other type of Humbuckers for my Epiphone Dot 335 in gold preferably.

1 - if they are humbuckers they will fit.

2 - are they worth buying? I don't know, you didn't post any info about them.

I put a set of GFS Vintage 59s in my Dot and I love them. I just went to GFS and I see they don't make them anymore, but they do have some very similar. It doesn't look like they make humbuckers with gold cases anymore. This is what I put in mine. I think I used the OEM pup rings, been so long since I did it I can't remember. I know this doesn't help a lot since they are chrome. I wanted to keep mine chrome because the gold wears off fairly quick for me. Some like that look, I don't.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-professional-Series-Alnico-V-Humbucker-Nickel-Case-Neck-Pickup_p_4152.html (7.6K)

http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-professional-Series-Alnico-V-Humbucker-Nickel-Case-Bridge-Pickup_p_4154.html (8.6K)

When I got my DOT the pups weren't to my liking, so I swapped them out. (Neck was muddy and bridge was ice pick in the ear bright) I have heard that the knew ones are much better quality.

No matter your final brand choice, make sure that you get a metric size pup for a guaranteed drop-in replacement. American standard measurements (eg. Gibson pups) are not the same and will need the complete bezel (mounting rings) along with the pups themselves. Usually not a big problem, just a heads up, so to speak.

No matter your final brand choice, make sure that you get a metric size pup for a guaranteed drop-in replacement. American standard measurements (eg. Gibson pups) are not the same and will need the complete bezel (mounting rings) along with the pups themselves. Usually not a big problem, just a heads up, so to speak.

Is there a tone difference between Imperial and metric?? :blink:

Archived