Gibson Brands Forums

Les paul studio Deluxe II 60's (2013) pickups

Wellington Jr

Hi guys,

I'm from Brazil and I bought a Gibson Les Paul Studio from a man who have bought it at Guitar Center NY. The guitar is awesome, it has 490R pickup on the neck and a burst bucker pro on the bridge. The thing is that at some point the guitar started to have a great amount of noise, so I took it to a good luthier here.

He opened the guitar, made his evaluation, proposed to shield it and showed me something that worried me. He told me that the pickups were fake!

The reason he, as he explained to me, were that the pick-ups were not grounded, and a there was a small piece of wood inside of it that, according to him, was not made of mahogany.

Ok, the ground problem is understandable, since the previous owner might have tried to change something or might have took the guitar to a bad luthier, but the mahogany piece I don't know. I have some photos from the pickup opened showing some of the details he pointed me. Can anyone help me with this?

post-77042-052659400 1455821356_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Hello and welcome here.

My informations say that the 2013 Studio came with 490R and 498T stock.

Except for 500T and Dirty Fingers featuring three magnets, all Gibson humbuckers have maple spacers between the outer parts of the coil bobbins and the base plate. The picture you posted obviously shows the 490R. Looks legit to me.

I couldn't tell anything but guesses about the missing ground connection. What counts is that it has been solved.

The stock pickups on Studios were mostly 490R neck and 498T bridge. These pickups had only two wires with an outer braided shield used for ground and no PVC sheath.

Your pickup, as Cap mentioned, is legit with the maple wood spacer. This looks like an aftermarket Gibson pickup with 4 wires and a shield inside the PVC wire sheath. I'm not sure on the model number of your pickup; but Burstbuckers do have the 4 wires, shield, inside a PVC sheath like your pictures. msp_thumbup.gif

The stock pickups on Studios were mostly 490R neck and 498T bridge. These pickups had only two wires with an outer braided shield used for ground and no PVC sheath.

Your pickup, as Cap mentioned, is legit with the maple wood spacer. This looks like an aftermarket Gibson pickup with 4 wires and a shield inside the PVC wire sheath. I'm not sure on the model number of your pickup; but Burstbuckers do have the 4 wires, shield, inside a PVC sheath like your pictures. msp_thumbup.gif

The LP Studio 2013 features coil split stock and therefore came with four-conductor wired pickups.

Archived