Gibson Brands Forums

4th Set Of Pickups

StRanger7032

I just installed my 4th set of pickups in 2 years in my 2014 SG. I started with Seymour Duncan P-Rails, which I found to be "a Jack of all trades and a master of none". Then I tried P-94s (humbucker sized P-90s). Those came out in favor of humbuckers, specifically a Seymour Duncan JB-4/SH-2 set.

After a failed experiment with a neck humbucker in one of my Teles, I was left with a spare Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro, which went in the neck of my G-400 in place of the SD SH-2 (Jazz) I had originally installed. It sounded so great compared to the SH-2 that I decided to order a matching set of Alnico II Pros for the SG. The JB-4/SH-2 set was too hot and bright for my liking. I got the Alnico IIs in yesterday and I do believe I've finally nailed the tone I've been looking for! It sounds amazingly like a Les Paul with vintage style humbuckers now. I've heard a lot of people say you can't make an SG sound like a Les Paul, but this one does a very convincing job of it now. I do hope I'm done switching pickups in this guitar for good now!

Archived