Gibson Brands Forums

SG Standard 2014 Min-Etune replacent

mg66

Hello,

is there anyone who know which model of TonePros Kluson tuners perfectly fit into the SG STANDARD 2014 with Min-Etune?

EDIT: I read that many Kluson tuners fit perfectly into SG but is there a particular model that you feel to suggest?

Thanks

I believe that TonePros has stopped making the tuners for Gibson.

So if you can find someone stupidly selling theirs, snap them up. They say Gibson Deluxe on them.

Gibson was installing TonePros tuners in like 2012 and 2013. They are excellent.

I don't know why they stopped.

But I have installed Grover Vintage Keystone tuners on my SG and they fit perfectly.

They look just like the traditional Gibson Deluxe and they weigh the same which is crucial.

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Tuning_Machines/Solid_Peghead_Guitar_Tuning_Machines/Grover_Vintage_135_Series_3and3_Tuners.html

With an SG, the critical factor is the weight. If you install tuners that are heavier than the

stock tuners, the guitar will suffer from annoying headstock dive. Don't be tempted by

locking tuners or Grover Rotomatics... these are so heavy you will regret buying them.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

is there anyone who know which model of TonePros Kluson tuners perfectly fit into the SG STANDARD 2014 with Min-Etune?

EDIT: I read that many Kluson tuners fit perfectly into SG but is there a particular model that you feel to suggest?

Thanks

My GC tech says either Kluson or GRover will work to replace the MinETune which I have on a 2014 SG. The tuner is junk

Hi, thanks for the advice but I've already bought and mounted the TonePros TPKB3N.

Unfortunately with the Min-etune system my SG loses the tuning [scared], but now with the Tonepros is perfect. \:D/

What should I replace my Min-eTune with?

I'm going to go ahead and put this here too as it is relevant to the subject. [thumbup]

There is no question that the Min-eTune is not for everyone. If you're one of those folks don't let the new contraption put you off of buying a new Gibson. Removing the Min-eTune is simple and there are lots of redalt available tuners on the market to suit your needs.

Here are my top 4 choices for replacing the Min-eTune system on your guitar.

The first choice for me are the Gibson Deluxe tuners. These are light weight and traditional tuners for a Les Paul. I think the white keys accent the inlays nicely too. They have a 14:1 gear ratio and are lighter than the Min-eTune system so they might lesson some neck dive issues.

5844_zps82ab33a6.jpg

My second choice would be the Grover 102G Rotomatic tuners. These are more modern tuners with an 18:1 gear ratio that many players prefer. They also use a mounting hole that is in a traditional spot for Gibson tuners which can become important should you ever decide to sell the guitar. That's a plus. On the down side they are heavier than the Min-eTune system which may lead to a slight increase neck dive.

m726QMWOqc9akL2CH8wwDtw_zpsff1edda0.jpg

My third recommendation would be the Grover 502C Roto-Grip Locking Rotomatic. These are the same as the 102G tuners above but they have a knob on the back to lock the string to the post. This can make for faster string changes and can help with tuning stability. While that shouldn't be an issue with a non trem guitar they can help should you decide to add a Bigsby or StatsBar someday. The added function means they DO weight more than all the other options we have looked at here so keep that in mind.

m6uwuGPKXSqcCfwGv_mtHvQ_zpse2d3b5a8.jpg

And finally we have these which are again made by Grover. In fact they are the 102 series tuners we talked about before but with a different button on them.

NEW-Gibson-Modern-3x3-GOLD-METAL-BUTTONS_zps9d558046.jpg

So, it all depends on what your after. All of these tuners can be installed without having to bore out the peg holes. All that will be required is that you pilot drill the small screw holes for the mounting screws. And since all of them use traditional mounting screw positions this would minimise devaluing the guitars resale value due to "crazy mods". Most would see installing these tuners as reasonable mods.

Hope this helps. [thumbup]

Archived