Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone use a Microphone instead of Pickup?

Shane Davis

I am toying with the idea of using a Shure mic with a clamp on my mic stand. So one mic for vocals and one for guitar.

Why you ask? Because I hate all pickups, truly they are always a compromise it seems. Even the best are ok but I don't want to spend the money to get a half assed sound.

Venue, live, outdoors often no power (using rechargeable PA with battery effects unit to shape the sound)

Anyone try this or use it?

I agree that mics have a more natural sound but your are at the mercy of your sound man. I've had some wonderful live mixes with both close in mics and a wide diaphragm condensers. I have also had far, far too many occasions where I have trusted the sound man and gotten lost in the mix, to the point where even my resonator could hardly be heard. Which why I had pickups put in my guitars last month. I would discourage you from working with mics, especially if you are playing solo, but fwiw, both the K&K mini (J35) and the Lace ultraslim (reso) have a pretty transparent sound that conveys test essence of the instrument.

I am toying with the idea of using a Shure mic with a clamp on my mic stand. So one mic for vocals and one for guitar.

Why you ask? Because I hate all pickups, truly they are always a compromise it seems. Even the best are ok but I don't want to spend the money to get a half assed sound.

Venue, live, outdoors often no power (using rechargeable PA with battery effects unit to shape the sound)

Anyone try this or use it?

[/quote]

I use a Shure 57 & 58 in the same set-up for small venue(thru my Loudbox mini) and recording, Prefer it because the dreaded "quack" is not acceptable for me. Plus I can use more acoustics this way.

We play bluegrass and acoustic traditional music -- we don't ever use pickups.

In a short form, we use and SM58 vocal and SM57 instrument mic at each station with monitors or a single large diaphragm condenser mic with no monitors. This is SOP at bluegrass venues.

Working the mics is a skill, but not too hard.

Best,

-Tom

Archived