Gibson Brands Forums

i wish the custom shop was a custom shop

ncfiretiger

The CS stopped doing one off orders last year. Before that you could order a one off guitar, or have some of the specs altered to suit your tastes. Now you need to order a minimum of 25 for them to consider doing it. Even before last year, there was no guarantee that they would do anything, no matter how much money you offered. For example if you had asked for an X shaped guitar in solid ebony, covered in silver foil, with 14 strings, you have gotten a NO.

Hopefully they will return to doing them again sometime soon. But I can understand, some of the problems they faced when doing them. A lot of shops gave unrealistic ETAs, and to be cost effective they would have to try and wait until they had several similar guitars so they could do them in batches. So on one side, if they only get one custom order in a year, they have to gear up for one guitar, or try to slip it in with another batch of regular production. If they wait to get enough orders, then you have dealers calling asking where their orders are and customers complaining. When I ordered mine, Gibson gave an ETA of 8 months. My shop told me to expect 16-24 months just in case. So I was prepared for a 2 year wait, and the guitar was in my hands almost 8 months to the day.

lot of truth to what you say. still... i think Gibson could do it and still be cost effective. not everyone can play a 1 and 11/16 inch neck. try to get a gibson electric with 1 and 3/4 nut width. this wouldn't even have to be a one off. i'm talking simple stuff here, not the wild and crazy extreme.

Archived