Gibson Brands Forums

Time To Sit on The Beach?

BluesKing777

Are you there Nick? [flapper]

Probably sailing at this time of year?

BluesKing777.

Our years of crossing the oceans of the world on sailboats is mostly behind us, but we are still on the water in summers, coastal cruising from Maine to Maritime Canada on our powerboat.

The issue of assigning costs for rescues at sea is a tricky one, but idiots who put to sea in totally unsuitable vessels, without adequate experience or understanding of what they are doing, should IMHO be held responsible for the costs associated with their rescue.

At the same time, the sea is an unforgiving companion. Even the most experienced sailors on the best boats can encounter conditions that overwhelm them. This happens to merchant mariners as well as those who go to sea for pleasure.

International treaties require commercial vessels to come to the aid of distressed mariners, whether commercial or recreational. Most seafaring countries also have some form of Coast Guard which may have primary responsibility for search and rescue in that country's territorial seas.

In my business, one of our primary rules is "stuff happens at sea". (substitute appropriate word for "stuff"). As long as that holds true, I'll be grateful that there might be some agency willing to save my butt at some point. Hasn't happened yet, but that doesn't mean it won't.

Archived