Gibson Brands Forums

New Website design questions

Shadow

I also would like to see the discontinued models on the new website.

I have an Apple computer and cannot open anything past the first page of any guitar selections. Is the site not Apple freindly or is anyone else having a problem. I could navigate fully on the old website.

Joe,

I am set up the same, its almost 100% not your computer as Safari is set up for HTML via the internet just like windows is. Where you will have a problem is downloading windows specific apps. without having the proper codecs in your Mac to decipher them. I'm still having problems with that today for some reason.

What you are seeing are broken links from the Gibson pages which is just a temporary problem. Try it again and you should at least see something past a first page, somewhere. Cheers.

Hi! new here, but I've been browsing the Gibson website for a while now.

Just some things that I think are missing on the new Gibson website.

product comparison charts and spec overviews for each Gibson guitar. It's a hassle having to read a complete article and still not be sure what all the features are.

I do realise that that depends on the information you are provided with but it would be a nice addition and I am pretty sure that loads of people want to see something like that.

Also, some of the website features do not seem to work (security check codes when adding a comment somewhere seem to block).

Good Luck!

Hi there, Shadow!

It's encouraging that you're asking for feedback. The presentation of the site is very professional. But I have a few suggestions, if I may.

The first thing that I'd like to suggest is for there to be a detailed summary specification list for each model of guitar (stats, figures, dimensions, materials). Forgive me for mentioning a competitor here but Taylor seem to have got that one right on their site. You can just click a spec button and all of it comes up in a neat at-a-glance list. I really think you need something that on the Gibson site. Recently, I've been comparing the Songwriter models and would really have appreciated an ability to compare the spec on the all of them.

Sometimes there are ambiguities. For example, the new Songwriter Deluxe Standard and EC models both say they have the "new compound radius fingerboard" in the overview but the Custom doesn't say that it has that, even though it is new for 2009 as well and in the same range. Does it have it or or not? It would be useful to know that before pursuing a possible buying decision.

Another anomaly is that when I clicked to view Songwriter models under acoustics, the Hummingbird came up in the list too. Is that really a Songwriter model?

Also, the 2009 Songwriter Deluxe Custom doesn't appear in the list of custom models under acoustics.

Also sometimes the thumbnails don't show in the overview of the guitar and sometimes clicking on the thumbnail doesn't bring anything up. There seems to be a glitch there somewhere. I just had that on the overview for the Songwriter Deluxe Studio, in which clicking on the thumbnail of the lower half of the guitar doesn't yield any results.

I'll keep you posted if I notice anything else. I'm trying to be helpful rather than critical. Thanks for the opportunity to share.

Alan

http://www.sinceritymusic.com

Just to add a note to my last comment... having had further opportunity to explore the Gibson site (I'm a singer-songwriter wanting to make a serious purchase of a guitar and the new Songwriters have been right in the centre of my sights), I'm disappointed with the way each guitar is presented to the public. The information detail about the guitars on your website is unreliable. For example, I have now discovered that the new Deluxe Custom version of the Songwriter DOES have a compound radius fingerboard, even though it omits that info where the other two new models include it. Furthermore, the features detail on that Custom model says it has the L.R. Baggs pickup when in fact it has the Fishman Aura Ellipse. Someone has plainly done a cut and paste from an old Songwriter model and then failed to update the information afterwards. Not very professional.

This could all have been sorted if there was a detailed list of specifications for each guitar - woods, dimensions, scale length, nut width, string gauges, materials, etc. Look at the Taylor, Larivee, Martin and Collings websites. Each model has its own page with a tab which includes highly detailed reliable specifications and photos for every model of guitar. They even have photos of each model from every angle - including the back, which your website does not have. These are your competitors and their websites are in a totally different league to your own. Unless you bring your website into the 21st century you are going to lose customers to these other brands.

Maybe you're just resting on your laurels and relying on the fact that everyone already knows about your flagship Les Pauls and J-200s so why bother about the rest of the acoustics? If you take that road you'll wind up with a lot of redundancies in Bozeman and an empty factory. If I hadn't known much about guitars and had not doggedly (obsessionally!) pursued the info I wanted about your acoustic models (including phoning your Bozeman factory twice where I received conflicting information from two different personnel - one of whom didn't even know you had compound radius fingerboards on the new Songwriters!) I would have given up including you in my search long ago.

You have beautiful guitars for sale. Ones you can be proud of. It is no longer viable to plead that guitar luthiers are artists and therefore don't need to dirty themselves with such mundanities as marketing strategies. Let the luthiers be the artists but then go on to develop a super marketing division to ensure that the artists' products get out there!

I hope you will take these suggestions in the helpful spirit in which they have been made. I admire your artistry but - as a keen potential Gibson customer for the first time in my guitar-playing life - I have been profoundly disappointed as I've waded in a sea of cyber-confusion and misinformation about the models. Frankly, although the site has some great aspects - the news, lessons, etc. - it just does not stand up against the sites of Taylor, Larivee, Martin and Collings.

In spite of all this, I'm still pursuing trying out and hopefully purchasing a 2009 Songwriter model. Everything about it looks like the kind of guitar I am after. I just wish I could get a detailed comparable checklist of technical specifications like I can with any other quality product on the market!

Sincerely,

Alan

http://www.sinceritymusic.com

• 3 weeks later...

Archived