Gibson Brands Forums

2016 J45 Custom. Your opinion on tuners

haystack

Yes I understand, and yes I think made in China is not bad. In the 1990's I had a lot of problems with USA made products and I saw the writing on the wall. I used to work at Guild in Westerly in the 1980's and now their "Westerly" collection is made in China. They were made in Kaman's Ovation plant in CT just recently until Fender pulled the plug on that operation. I wonder how those guitars came out. Guild is now owned by Cordoba, I have one of their high end classical guitars and it is very nice.

Woops, missed this post in my fervor to reply to the other one! I have heard really good things about those New Hartford Guilds, though it doesn't seem like they were in operation long. Cordoba was smart and lucky to keep Ren Ferguson when they bought Guild. I have a Guild D-20, the first from the new California plant, and it's wonderful. I was always a huge Guild (Westerly)fan--wonder if you worked on any of the fantastic Westerly guitars I played and loved? I think you would approve of their current production, and you'd no doubt appreciate the CT models as well. It's sad Guild has been passed around so much. They deserve to be up there with Martin and Gibson as the true classic American guitars.

Well I am torn on tuners here. I like Waverly but had some issues with stewmac years ago..... Although I may shrug it off now.

Question though.... Any issues with gibson brand vintage tuners?

I think the Gibson-branded tuners are just Chinese tuners with Gibson stamped on them. Not that that is bad. The Chinese stuff seems pretty solid.

Woops, missed this post in my fervor to reply to the other one! I have heard really good things about those New Hartford Guilds, though it doesn't seem like they were in operation long. Cordoba was smart and lucky to keep Ren Ferguson when they bought Guild. I have a Guild D-20, the first from the new California plant, and it's wonderful. I was always a huge Guild (Westerly)fan--wonder if you worked on any of the fantastic Westerly guitars I played and loved? I think you would approve of their current production, and you'd no doubt appreciate the CT models as well. It's sad Guild has been passed around so much. They deserve to be up there with Martin and Gibson as the true classic American guitars.

I have a cordoba flamenco from their Negra series. It is definitely the most beautiful sounding guitar I have. This thing is just incredible.

Archived