Gibson Brands Forums

In need of power attenuator guidance

guitar_randy

I am looking into what would be an attenuator that would work well with my amp.My amp is a 1972 Marshall model 1987 50 watt half stack.THD hotplate gets good reviews ,but they are little steep in price for me with the econonmy and all.I see Weber offers a few diffferent models at lower prices and I have heard some good feedback on Weber ingeneral,but I have no real knowledge on which model I would need or which would work best for my particular amp.I found this on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Weber-Mini-Mass-50W-Amp-Attenuator-Power-Soak_W0QQitemZ110346356430QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Amp_Accessories?hash=item110346356430&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Does anyone know if this would work well with my amp,or if a different Weber model would be better suited for it?I have never used an attenuator.Some say they are great.Others say they kill or alter the tone too much.Currently ,when I want to play my amp at lower volumes for practicing,etc,I run it thru my boss overdrive pedal and control the volume with that.It is ok I guess,but the tone is not the same as I get running directly into amp.I guess I am wondering if I can get an attenuator to retain the amp tone ,but cut the volum down.Like I say,I have no experience using an attenuator so am kinda lost here.Some say it will alter tone too much,others say it will not.

Can anyone help me out here and guide me to a good attenuator or the one I need or set me straight on if the amp tone will be lost or retained using an attenuator?

Never tried one. The horror stories have kept me away from such things.

Maybe you could find a music shop that would let you try one out on their equipment, just to see if it works for you.

Never tried one. The horror stories have kept me away from such things.

Maybe you could find a music shop that would let you try one out on their equipment' date=' just to see if it works for you.[/quote']

What types of horror stories?Causing amp damage,or killing the tone?

Archived