Gibson Brands Forums

S/N check for newer only?

younkint

Hi. My wife and I are updating our homeowners insurance policy. Evidently, my guitars and amps have become quite valuable, and we need to be sure they are described correctly to the insurance company. One of my instruments is a Gibson ES-335 which I've owned for over 35 years. Of course, there is information available regarding 355 serial numbers, however my instrument has a serial number which (evidently) is not definite. That is, the same number series is shown for several different years. This instrument was purchased by me from a friend who is now deceased, so I cannot ask him - years ago it just wasn't important, and I never did ask when he originally purchased it. I was advised to come here and ask for information on the year of manufacture of my old 335. As I read the posts here, I see only information regarding fairly new instruments given.

Am I in the right place to inquire regarding the year of manufacture of my Gibson? If so, do you need other information (construction details, etc.) in addition to the number when there is an overlap of serial number/years?

Thanks you in advance for the help.

- Terry

Archived