Gibson Brands Forums

New Southern Jumbo

Victory Pete

Same on the inside, but the bridge is very different. The SJ has the pins closer to the saddle making a higher break angle for more punch.

Pete, the original link to your actual SJ doesn't work for me. Does it have a reverse bridge like most J45s and post-1940s SJs (looks like a typical Martin bridge but turned round), the Martin-style bridge like many early banner SJs and some more modern ones like Nick's Fuller's special and my Woody Guthrie, or a narrow bridge like lots of pre-war Gibsons and some banner J45s and SJs? Again, I suppose my question is whether these different bridge designs produce a different break angle in and of themselves, or whether it's a case of individually machined bridges with different spaces between pins and saddles.

The Western Classic will have a different angle by design, because of the aforementioned ribbons.

Pete, the original link to your actual SJ doesn't work for me. Does it have a reverse bridge like most J45s and post-1940s SJs (looks like a typical Martin bridge but turned round), the Martin-style bridge like many early banner SJs and some more modern ones like Nick's Fuller's special and my Woody Guthrie, or a narrow bridge like lots of pre-war Gibsons and some banner J45s and SJs? Again, I suppose my question is whether these different bridge designs produce a different break angle in and of themselves, or whether it's a case of individually machined bridges with different spaces between pins and saddles.

The Western Classic will have a different angle by design, because of the aforementioned ribbons.

Try this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-rssjjpn17-southern-jumbo-acoustic-electric-guitar

Mine is the same reverse Martin style as the J-45, but the pins are closer to the saddle, like a Martin. Yes, different bridge designs will most certainly have different break angles, some are more pronounced than others both high and low.

Archived