Gibson Brands Forums

Where to find specs for 1996 Korean Made Epiphone Les Paul

AlabamaBluesFan

Where can I find the specs for 1996 Korean Made Epiphone Les Paul? I need to replace the tuning head/machines and don't know what size the peg holes are... Or... Does anyone know the size of the peg holes?

ABF

The best way to find out would be to measure the ones on your guitar. but if you replace it with the same style tuner, there shouldn't be an issue. if you go from a tuner with a press in bushing to one with a screw in bushing like a Grover; you will have to widen the hole.

Try contacting the manufacturer of the tuners you are looking to buy. Before upgrading the tuners on my Epi Riviera, I sent an email to the US distributor of Kluson. I told them the make, model and year of my guitar and asked about the tuners I was interested in. They provided a prompt and detailed response. They let me know that I would need to enlarge the peg holes on my guitar using a reamer and advised against using a drill bit. They also suggested alternative drop-in replacements from their catalog.

Good luck!

I landed on Kluson Revolution Locking Tuners with pearloid buttons. My Epi Riviera's peg holes did need to be reamed out for the bushings to fit properly. I found the tuners on everybody's favorite auction site at a big discount to MSRP. I don't have a lot of experience with other brands of tuners, but these were a big improvement over the stock Wilkinson tuners. The Revolution tuners have a higher than typical gear ratio 19:1. My guitar seems to stay in tune much longer than before. Not that I gig or change strings on the fly, but the locking mechanism makes it easier and quicker to change strings. Lastly, the pearloid buttons look great and give the guitar a classy look to it. Kluson makes this line of tuners with and without the locking mechanism, without and without the pearloid buttons and in different finishes (black, chrome, gold and nickel), so you can customize your selection to your taste and budget.

Good luck!

I landed on Kluson Revolution Locking Tuners with pearloid buttons. My Epi Riviera's peg holes did need to be reamed out for the bushings to fit properly. I found the tuners on everybody's favorite auction site at a big discount to MSRP. I don't have a lot of experience with other brands of tuners, but these were a big improvement over the stock Wilkinson tuners. The Revolution tuners have a higher than typical gear ratio 19:1. My guitar seems to stay in tune much longer than before. Not that I gig or change strings on the fly, but the locking mechanism makes it easier and quicker to change strings. Lastly, the pearloid buttons look great and give the guitar a classy look to it. Kluson makes this line of tuners with and without the locking mechanism, without and without the pearloid buttons and in different finishes (black, chrome, gold and nickel), so you can customize your selection to your taste and budget.

Good luck!

Can't delete the duplicate post. Sorry.

Older Epiphones have smaller metric tuner post holes (aprox. 9mm). Newer Epiphones with modern style tuners have 10mm post holes. The only way to accurately know the size is to remove a tuner and measure across the hole. Most websites that sell tuners like ebay.com and Amazon.com do not have the sizes in the description for the tuner. You have to go to the tuner website with the part number to get the size information. Example:Grover tuners have sizes information at their website but not on amazon eventhough I order my tuners from amazon. Does this help? I've changed tuners on many guitars and several epiphones. A '96 probably has smaller 9mm tuners. You Can buy Klunson Gibson style drop in direct tuners for that guitar.

Older Epiphones have smaller metric tuner post holes (aprox. 9mm). Newer Epiphones with modern style tuners have 10mm post holes. The only way to accurately know the size is to remove a tuner and measure across the hole. Most websites that sell tuners like ebay.com and Amazon.com do not have the sizes in the description for the tuner. You have to go to the tuner website with the part number to get the size information. Example:Grover tuners have sizes information at their website but not on amazon eventhough I order my tuners from amazon. Does this help? I've changed tuners on many guitars and several epiphones. A '96 probably has smaller 9mm tuners. You Can buy Klunson Gibson style drop in direct tuners for that guitar.

Archived