Gibson Brands Forums

should i buy this one?

100f

I found this guitar online for arround 175 usd and i love the looks of it, but im not so sure on the price.

I thought of asking here for your opinion.

Its supposedly in great condiition with all original hardware.

Would you buy this?

post-83131-087252000 1482385792_thumb.jpg

I found this guitar online for arround 175 usd and i love the looks of it, but im not so sure on the price.

I thought of asking here for your opinion.

Its supposedly in great condiition with all original hardware.

Would you buy this?

I'm not convinced by it to be honest. I am not a Wilshire expert, (I'm sure someone here will step up to that plate) but even doing a quick Bing image search shows that the scratch plate and controls look all wrong for the Wilshire. Also the price says be wary. The only new one in the current Epi line up is the Phanto-matic version which Sweetwater are selling for $549. Vintage ones on reverb.com are going for thousands.

I tend to live by the maxim, 'If it looks too good to be true, it usually is', especially when it comes to guitars. I know that I may miss an uber bargain, but I also won't waste money on a dud.

Oh and welcome on board by the way!!

Don't buy it on the basis of it being a Wilshire because its way different to a 'real' Wilshire (body shape, bridge, pickups all different and probably a bolt on neck) but if you just like the look of it as it is and its fits the image you have in your head for the stuff you play, then at that price why not?

Btw, there have been several Japanese and Korean Epi's over the 70's-90's loosely based on the USA 60's Epi's and then in more recent times some more accurate versions from China. They are all pretty cool at around that money. [thumbup]

Archived