Gibson Brands Forums

NECK Comparison Question

vmaster38

Hello,

Can anybody please basically describe the difference in thickness of an LP '59, a '68 LP Custom, and a '58 Flying V??

I'm guessing the '59 LP's would be exactly the same as the '58 V's. The '68 LP Custom has a very beefy neck....is it possibly fatter than the 50's style?? I appreciate any and all inputs.

All necks are a little bit different from one guitar to the next, but as a rule of thumb the 50s necks are usually thicker. LP Customs do have thick necks, though... I would say that the Custom would be the thickest, then the V, and the 59 LP thinnest... keep in mind however that they'd all be quite close. Even though the neck of the 59 LP is thinner than the other two, it's nowhere near as thin as say, an SG.

Tim, you got any advice on this?

Thanks for your response. I'd just like to add that I have 4 LP Customs myself.....just not a '68 reissue. A friend of mine owns one and claims it is a lot thicker than contemporary model LP Customs. He says it's too thick for him and would choose a "normal" Custom over this based on the neck alone. I'm REALLY interested in a '58 RI V, but am now concerned about the neck.....yes it's on-line, so I can't check it out myself unfortunately.

Go to your local Gibson dealer and see if they have any R8s that you can try out. If you're worried about a really thick neck, you should be fine- they're nowhere near as thick as say an R6. Those necks really are huge. The Customs have the 50's rounded neck profile right? I imagine that an R8 would have approximately the same neck profile.

Archived