Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Recording A

HurricaneGene

I have an old Epiphone. It is a Recording A model that was released around 1930. It is my father-in-laws. A couple of the tuners aren't working properly. They are the banjo style tuners. They spin without tightening the strings. I have heard that it is better to keep the old tuners on it but I would like to fix or replace them so I can play it. I doubt if they sell replacements. Does anyone know how to fix them?

I have an old Epiphone. It is a Recording A model that was released around 1930. It is my father-in-laws. A couple of the tuners aren't working properly. They are the banjo style tuners. They spin without tightening the strings. I have heard that it is better to keep the old tuners on it but I would like to fix or replace them so I can play it. I doubt if they sell replacements. Does anyone know how to fix them?

I had a similar issue with a 1932 KayKraft's strange outdated tuners that had no hole in the tuning post for the string to go through So what I did was took the posts from the tuners off, put them in the case's box so I retained the original equipment in case I ever sell it and the buyer wants the original tuners' posts...and I bought some new tuners (not super expensive or fancy ones) and took off their posts that had holes in them for the strings and used those posts on the existing tuners. Guitar plays great vs didn't play because of them original keeper tuner posts that I keep in the case.

Another option would have been to just have bought some inexpensive tuners that would have blended in with the guitar's aesthetics and replaced the entire existing tuners, while putting the originals in the case's box for the aforementioned reason. But, in my guitar's situation, just replacing the posts of the tuners worked fine. They might be a fraction longer than the original posts, but they at least sensibly have holes on the posts and work just fine.

Hope this approach I took is helpful.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Archived