Gibson Brands Forums

Most key-intensive tracks.

rdclmn7

There is that one track that Benny Goodman tried to use to sabotage Charlie Christian's entry into the band.

No, it wasn't a Charlie-thing, he just hated everyone within reach of his legendary ice-cold stare.

Key changes beyond belief,

No, I ain't ever gonna try...

I can't remember the exact name

it sounds like Clamydia....

That first track from Todd Rundgren's Live album ca 1975

A full crew of synthesizers and an otherwise unsofisticated Mustang doing the impossible.

Masterful use of changes, and its live setting reflects the absolute rush that only comes when you have a good crew playing live.

Blackmore's Gates of Babylon, the angry guitarist...

Only surpassed in intensity by Stargazer, the key changes within the solo go places that only tropical mushrooms above 3,000 ft can compete with.

He mentions those two as his best work.

I still have problems trying to disagree with that.

Lets see what you guys come up with.

There is a jazz standard, I Didn't Know What Time It Was that somebody has also called, I Didn't Know What Key It Was .

Strictly speaking, it's unusual for the key to change i.e. for there to be more than one key signature in a piece, at least in the jazz I'm familiar with. But it is common for the tone centre to change. That is, you will find that you need different scales for soloing over different parts of the piece and you will see chords that are not built from the scale associated with the key signature.

Since getting into jazz, I think of the key signature as simply a means of specifying where the melody sits on the staff. It doesn't determine what chords or notes are "permitted".

RN

Key changes are a good way of adding interest to music, but they are also a dreadful cliche when handled badly (think big ballad on American Idol). And let us remember the cost of the ability to change keys.....

Just Intonation

Sounds good 'in key' but severely limits key changes.

Meantone Intonation

Does not sound quite so 'natural' but does allow a selection of key changes.

Pythagorean Intonation

Is rather unmusical sounding - and I have never played it long enough to try key changes.

Equally Tempered Intonation

Sounds 'OK' at best in any key, but does allow pretty much unlimited key changes.

Archived