Gibson Brands Forums

2007 61 reissue pick up questions

wrench87

i have a question regarding the pick ups on my gutiar of the week 61 reissue that has me concerned, i removed the pick ups to rplace the pick up rings and i noticed my neck pick up has a blackpatent applied sticker then it also has a white sticker with a date of a few days after the guitar was built then some numbers 0066. also it has the meatal sheath cable. the bridge pick up does not have any stickers but has gibson usa scribed on the bottom and also has a second set of holes opposite where the 6 screws come out the bottom and has a gray plastic sheath cable, also the cavity of the guitar is black as is the guitar. is this normal?, why are the 2 pick ups different?.

i am just trying to learn about this guitar and so far this forum has been great.

i emailed gibson , they told me it seems like some one changed one of the pick ups because they should be both the same. i called gibson some one else said that it could be a classic and a classic plus?. are there any pick up experts out there?. how can i find out what the bridge pick up is

the thing that is different is the gray cable sheath instead of the metal sheath like the neck pick up, and the additional 6 holes drilled in the bottom across from the 6 screws that come out the bottom. any ideas

from what i have found out , it looks like the original owner took out the 57 classic bridge pick up and installed a 498 pick up. i want to return this back to original now what do i need for the bridge a 57 classic or a 57 classic plus?. this confuses me most other gibsons have different neck and bridge pick ups why does the 61 reissue use 2 57 classics? is this where it gets its sound from?.

Well, back in the day the neck and bridge pickups had minimal (if any) differences, so technically twin '57 Classics is okay from a historical point of view. I'd go with the Classic Plus for the bridge though...more bite, tad more output, better growl overall in the bridge. It'd compliment your neck pickup well.

H-Bomb

by nature, the neck position is "louder" (can't think of better term) - due to the strings at that point vibrating with more amplitude as opposed to near the ends, ie. the bridge position... which is why most of the time, if not always, the bridge pickup has a higher resistance (more ohms, ie. "hotter") so that when you flick the pickup switch from neck to bridge or vice-versa, you don't have a huge difference in volume adjustment to make...

so you'd be better off with a '57 Classic Plus in the bridge position to go along with the '57 Classic at the neck

Archived