Gibson Brands Forums

SG tuning problems

SGbat

Hi All

Im a proud owner of new Robot SG. I sold my few other guitars and invested on this. Ive started playing just few years ago in my late 30`s so not that much of experience yet. Anyway - had to have an SG and as Robot was interesting setup I ordered that one.

My problem is that I find the manual very misleading and difficult to understand. Therefore I have questions regarding tuning.

Basic EADGBE tuning

Manual says:

- Pull MCK out, Strum all strings - while strumming guitar tunes itself automatically - OR

- Turn the MCK counter clockwise to 0 position (I dont have one in my MCK?)

All the other strings are ok, but low E is every time tuned to 444 pitch (should be 440 naturally)

INTONATION

- I then tested the intonation as its instructed in the Gibson video

- Results: its blinking the lights like 40+ times red.... cant be

Anyone having the same problem? Can this be battery issue?

Thanks!

I have a Silverburst Robot SG and had a similar problem with my G string tuning a bit sharp. I just corrected the tuning and saved it to one of the other slots (I used 'e'), and then used that saved setup to tune with. Worked perfect. BTW, after a restringing, the problem disappeared. Go figure.

The intonation mode is very sensitive to how hard you strumm the string (strumm the two notes softly and with exactly the same force) and you should also make sure you are fingering the twelvth fret note at the same point every time. The adjustment is not determined by the number of flashes, it is the number of MCK indications that light up (kind of like the charge indication, only red not green). If you strumm the guitar too hard in tuning mode it will throw the string tuning off (usually low E or A string) try some different strumming styles and when you find the one that gives you good tuning do it every time. This is a learned thing that sometimes takes a little time to condition yourself to do naturally. Many people have had tuning problems fixed by adjusting how they strumm the guitar. Good luck

Hi

I managed to get the low E now working, but it needed some adjustment. What I did was I adjusted the pitch sensitivity to max. This does take much longer to tune all strings but for me it doesnt matter as Im not playing gigs and when playing I find it very important to be in tune.

I also believe that the guitar itself has now got its "working temperature" and seems to me that it gets in tune easier and keeps it as well. Yesterday I played SRV and its really cool to just push a button and tune automatically down 1/2. I also played around with open G and slide, its amazing how quickly and easily this is done and how much it helps when you dont have to remember all tunes and how to get there.

I still find the intonation adjustment very tricky. I did realise that its not the flashes, but how many "icons" are flashing. Still when I did this, it jumped from right to left icons so many times that I find it impossible to get adjusted. I need to work on that strumming touch.

Bigkahune:

I believe you can also manually adjust the tuning of particular string in all different pretuned modes. This way you can take this low E, adjust it manually from the pegs and save it to the same mode which in this case is the factory premode for normal tuning.

I do need to bare in mind that despite the simple one knob operating, this thing has a lot of features and learning them all takes some time. I need to test the intonation adjustment with patience during the weekend.

Just keep those Robots working ;-)

The first few times I did the intonation I had a hell of a time getting a steady reading. Remember each lit symbol is 1/2 turn adjustment. I found it helpful to plug into a tuner and pick the open note and then the 12th fret note a bunch of times and then I could see how much difference the picking made. Some people have given up on the intonation mode and just check it manually with a tuner. Its almost like you have to practice picking the individual notes like you would a song.

I was having tuning problems and found it to disappear after a re-string. I think once your strings start to get a little dead it is harder for the tuners to put it in to tune. In a way that is good that it gives you an indication that the strings should be changed. Mine has been working great since the string change.

Another thing you can try is re-setting the factory defaults.

I just re-strung my SG Robot with D'Addario strings, and it seems like the low E tuner isn't working right, but i don't know if I did something wrong or if it's the strings and i should have just stuck with Gibson strings. Honestly, the ball ends on the Gibson strings seemed like they fit better in the tailpiece.

Archived