Gibson Brands Forums

My '62 ES 345

ES345

Hey ES345--

I don't know which is more amazing: that you are the sole owner of that guitar or that it looks so good. From your pictures, I would have mistaken it for a brand-new re-issue.

Thanks for posting these beautiful pictures. I assume that you also like how it sounds, right? eusa_angel.gif

Ignatius

Yes, it is the gold standard of tone for me, and playability is unbelieveable, for many years this was my sole guitar, played it with many different bands, and even a 16 piece orchestra for about 4 years, being an anal type, i always took care of it, wiping it down and polishing it etc.., i paid 330 dollars back in '62, from money i made playing my J45 in different bands. the J45 had a dearmond pup in the sound hole and while this was a great sounding guitar, when i bought this 345 it really made doing chuck berry, and playing jazz so much easier and gave me the insturment that really allowed me to advance and develop my playing.

peace

I'd like to get that guitar side by side with my 2000 built Historic 345, and see just how accurate (or not) mine is. When I first bought mine I did have a chance to do this with a cherry sunburst of similar vintage as yours, and was very impressed with the effort Gibson made to get it right.

As nice as the Historics and Reissues are, they're just not the "real" thing. That is one beautiful guitar.

L5, I have several guitars now, nice ones, your avatar shows some beautiful guitars as well, my 356, an R6, a john scofield ibanez, howard roberts fusion etc., and they all play good, i have set them up very nicely, but there is still a difference between the 345 and all these wonderful guitars, i realize after playing something for 46 years it feels right and everything else feels almost right. when i go in music stores and they have a 3X5 of some kind, i try it and realizing my frets are a lower, not so much by wear, because this guitar has had flat wounds on it for as long as they were available, only subtle bends and vibrato, but just lower frets, the rounded fret board edges etc., nothing feels like it or measures up, now with a proper setup, possibly some fret work they would feel good visa vie, my other guitars, but not the same. so having this wonderful guitar is great, but nothing else quite makes it for me, but i have too much money in the others not to play them so i do play them all regularly, fenders, prs's etc. At least this gets my mind off of the big problems in life for awhile.

peace

Archived