Gibson Brands Forums

Serial Check Please

kissfanps

What?

When?

Where?

Any chambering or weight relief? Still don't understand the difference, when gibson started using each process and to what models are they done to, but if you don't have time for an answer to that, it is understood. No worries. Thanks

What?

When?

Where?

Any chambering or weight relief? Still don't understand the difference' date=' when gibson started using each process and to what models are they done to, but if you don't have time for an answer to that, it is understood. No worries. Thanks[/quote']

Weight relief was started on all Gibson USA models in 1982 by drilling 9 holes in the mahogany. In 2007 they started using chambering as the method of weight relief. The LP Custom's production was moved to the Custom Shop in 2003 and it still uses the 9 hole (swiss cheese) method. Gibson USA has made the odd model with chambering, but only Gibson USA knows the specs. the admin here does not have access to their specs, so if you have the Blueshawk, you will need to contact them and ask if it is weight relieved or chambered. I am not sure of it's specs. If you have a Custom, then it is weight relieved with the 9 holes.

Weight relief was started on all Gibson USA models in 1982 by drilling 9 holes in the mahogany. In 2007 they started using chambering as the method of weight relief. The LP Custom's production was moved to the Custom Shop in 2003 and it still uses the 9 hole (swiss cheese) method. Gibson USA has made the odd model with chambering' date=' but only Gibson USA knows the specs. the admin here does not have access to their specs, so if you have the Blueshawk, you will need to contact them and ask if it is weight relieved or chambered. I am not sure of it's specs. If you have a Custom, then it is weight relieved with the 9 holes.[/quote']

Its the custom....and its really heavy!!!! I cant imagine it without the holes....I got a buddy who is a radiologist...gonna go get it xrays haha

Weight relief was started on all Gibson USA models in 1982 by drilling 9 holes in the mahogany. In 2007 they started using chambering as the method of weight relief. The LP Custom's production was moved to the Custom Shop in 2003 and it still uses the 9 hole (swiss cheese) method. Gibson USA has made the odd model with chambering' date=' but only Gibson USA knows the specs. the admin here does not have access to their specs, so if you have the Blueshawk, you will need to contact them and ask if it is weight relieved or chambered. I am not sure of it's specs. If you have a Custom, then it is weight relieved with the 9 holes.[/quote']

mmm..we don't use chambering exclusively...there are still guitars that get the "swiss cheese", like the LP custom and the Class 5 LP...

Archived