Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar -> Computer

Carbonite

Hey guys, another question from me.

I was wondering about Guitars connected to computers. I have a very high end PC.

I am wondering if I am able to hook up my guitar to my computer and use my speakers or even my headphones to mess around on the computer? If so, what do I need?

I imagine it is possible and if it is, are there programs out there that act like amps and allow me to get any sorta tone I want? How about recording stuff?

Anything and everything you can tell me about how I can use my computer with my new guitar would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Well, really, I was hoping there was something out there where I could pick and choose sounds from thousands of different amps and configurations. Also, since it would be a program I figured there might me something out there that would give me thousands of possibilities just in EQ. Seems to me computers have to have been tapped in this area already because if you think about it, with a program you could do way more than you could do with an amp in the way of tone.

Anyways, I use Vista Ultimate 64 bit. Have the 32 bit disk as well if that's a problem. But I love my 64 bit. The extra ram and processing power is like using hammer over a butter knife to drive a nail.

Anyways, anything like what I am talking about out there?

EDIT: You know, I would like to say chose a song, and bam, there is a setting for that already. For instance, lets say I want to play Paradise City and just select it and boom, there you have the sound of that song. Then I jump over to wanting to play Houses of Holy by Led and I just select it and boom there you have it. You get what I mean?

Along with other things of course.

Holy CRAP. It does exist.

Thanks a ton man. That's what I am talking about.

Seems like its still in it's infancy though. I expect 10 years from now' date=' you won't hear a sound you can't emulate with stuff like this.

Thanks a lot man. So is this the best one out there?[/quote']

I'm not sure if it's the best.. it's one of the only one's I've tried. The other one I've tried is Peavey Revalver (http://www.peavey.com/products/revalver/).

It's interesting technology.. and it makes sense that computers can be used to model amps. I don't think that modeling can ever beat the real thing... but for those of use with no fundage for thousands of dollars worth of equipment, it's a nice alternative.

I'm not sure if it's the best.. it's one of the only one's I've tried. The other one I've tried is Peavey Revalver (http://www.peavey.com/products/revalver/).

It's interesting technology.. and it makes sense that computers can be used to model amps. I don't think that modeling can ever beat the real thing... but for those of use with no fundage for thousands of dollars worth of equipment' date=' it's a nice alternative.

[/quote']

Oh for sure. I mean, even if your well off, why on earth would you want 140 amps and 200 pedals. I mean, if you want versatility a program can give that to you much better than an amp I think. I can't imagine having to jump from amp to amp to amp to amp just to play some stuff in a way that it should really sound. Well, I would imagine to make it more pure would be to be able to hook up a cabinet to your computer and have your computer actually be your head, then your really smoking I guess.

Thanks again.

Archived