Gibson Brands Forums

Year J-45 was switched to rotomatics?

Dallon426

Curious on a couple of things. What year did Gibson J-45's switch to rotomatics? 2007? Also, from what I can tell from a lot of pictures, it seems that through the 80's up to about 2014, the pickguards look misplaced. They appear to be covering the rosette. Has anyone taken these off and replaced them and put them in the "correct position" If so did you have any aesthetic issues after the removal?

Also what year did they switch from the Golden Gibson logo to the Pearl?

And one final question. Which J-45's in the last 30 years have a "Soft V" neck shape.

Thanks

No idea about any of this stuff except the rosette

Was ‘misplaced’ on my 2005 45 historic

I removed it with the naphtha / dental floss method and there was no issues with the replacement

And I’m absolutely no luthier

Was easy peasey

I also removed the flubbery teardrop guard from my j15 and stuck a batwing one on there. Again , no problems with doing the job

Just for the record , I hate rotomatics on a j45 ... or any guitar come to think of it

Gibson came out with the “Modern Classic” series in the mid 2000’s most of the series were: Hummingbirds,J 45’s and Sj 200’s.

But I believe Doves and Southern Jumbos were also available upon request to your dealer.

One of the characteristics of all the series were the grover rotomatic tuners for better stability. It is said that in “gigging musician circles” the plastic tuners got replaced fairly quickly because they just couldn’t take the grind of the road for very long.Examples of this are Jimmy Page’s Les Pauls . So Gibson was trying to make a line of guitars that had everything a working musician needed (hence the undersaddle pickups and roto tuners) to just plug in and play on a daily basis.

Some time later they came out with the True Vintage line for the guys who loved the classic looking models of the 40’s,50’s and 60’s.

The Modern Classic series a few years later became just “ The Standard” line

JC

Archived