Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic quality issues

tedm

More obvious' date=' for some unknown reason, Gibson INSISTS on putting their (correctly radiused, even!) pickguards on in such a way as to COVER the treble side of the rosette, rather than outline it as they did for decades. [/quote']

This drives me batty. Personally, I think it looks really sloppy and gives the impression that whoever does this doesn't give a crap about how it looks. Why, oh why, do they DO that? If I ever buy a new one (and I'm thinking about it), the very first thing I'll do is remove the pickguard and put it on properly. You listening Gibson?

I don't know about this poll but I know no two guitars are alike / I say enjoy your Gibson and play that thing / It will get broken in as time goes by / She will have smuges, crackes, dings as time goes on / Thats if you you play your guitar / or you could always get a road worn Fender / Ha-ha

Just kidding! That Gibson will out last all them other guitars, thats a fact!

Have a Great Day / from spanishoaknc

th_100_0684.jpg

I don't think the OP is about minor finish flaws and such. We're all big boys and know what it's like to put a ding or two or three in a guitar, and to not care,l and adult enough to be able to deal with silly minor cosmetic issues that some people get all bent out of shape over. But, fretboards lifting on a guitar right from the factory (I'll admit, that's a new one on me, haven't heard that before). Nuts cut so badly they need to be replaced on a new guitar (I personally have that experience)? Necks set so that the saddle is so low as to be practically non-existent (seen that more than a few times on brand new gits in shops)? I don't know about anyone else, but to me these are not minor issues, and have nothing to do with "every guitar is different". Come on folks, this is important stuff.

I'm a big fan of Gibson, love em. But, I hear and see this kind of thing waaay too often lately. The dumb pg placement may be just a minor irritation, but to me it's symptomatic of no one paying attention at Bozeman. And, it pains me to see that. When I tell someone that I think Gibson is currently making the best guitars it has in years, I not only want that to be true about their tone, but about build quality also. QC is not difficult, but it has to be a TOP priority for it to work. Good worker training is part of what makes it work, and frankly, I'm beginning to wonder. Just my $.02

I recently had a pick guard installed because I was scratching the guitar. Well first of all there was a very long search to find a pick guard for a J-100. (Tor-Tis). Gibson does not sell parts and it is not friendly to luthiers. Right off the bat they are NOT like Martin and Taylor. Well Greven makes Tortis -- but there is another totally unfriendly cuss. If you are not buying a $10K guitar then Greven won't talk to you. So finally we find a J-100 pick guard (Greven Tor-tis) and by this time the J-100 had been in in the shop all of November December 2008. When the pick guard arrived it was the correct dimensions for covering the rosette (but to be honest it is not much of a rosette)(Tacoma has a nicer one). So the luthier and I got into a few days of "should I cut it or should I mount it?" (we decided to go with the pick guard as is -- obscure the rosette because of the bevel on the pick guard -- its made correctly and there is a bevel that is distinct). I am not a collector so I am not as "picky" as a collector but I do want a nice appearing guitar. I am also of the opinion that no two guitars are alike and enjoy it (life is short)(I know guys who cannot play any longer due to arthritis pain). If Gibson makes changes MY Gibson will remain the same. I LIKE MINE and I accept what is IS and I accept what it is not. Let's face it -- that's the story of life. The Navy -- well it's good and it's bad. (both). College -- there's were good things and bad things but I donate every year. I am glad I went there (Loyola Chicago). Career -- definitely a mixed experience. Marriage (oh brother!). Kids -- perfect -- that was great! Cars, boats, computers (especially computers) -- a mixed bag. But I have few regrets. I'd do it all again the same way. Gibson -- I like Gibson -- I have liked them since 1955 when I went to work for CMI in high school. I like Gibsons. I like their construction, their sound, their feel. I like the appearance (a lot more than Taylor!) I respect Taylor and Martin (I like Martins) BUT .. I PREFER Gibson. Would I like a $10K guitar better? Not that much. There just isn't a lot more happiness to be had for three and four times the price.

Archived