Gibson Brands Forums

tried bone bridge pins in my swd

panzeron

I've played around with a bunch of different pins in my SWD (ebony, rosewood, original plastic), currently have bone. This set looks particularly good on the guitar and it is a good fit. Soundwise, I have not found any real difference so far. I have noticed differences in other guitars, but my SWD has such a HUGE rosewood prescence, I can't make out any difference by changing pins.

Both my Taylor's have Ebony pins that came standard and I have never felt the need to replace them. Something about having plastic pins on my Gibson just bugged me which is why I made the switch to Bob C. Bone pins. I am with GillianGirl in that yes, my guitar does sound "Chimyer" with the bone pins in. With the Taylors, I certainly don't need or want any more "Chime" they both have plenty of that! +:-@

I know that Tusq saddles made a big difference on ALL of my acoustic guitar (even the Yamaha with laminate sides and back). But I have not tried bone or Tusq pins. It makes sense though that the higher the quality of sound getting to the spruce top the better it will resonate in the spruce top. Now that said It also makes sense that the "engineering" under the spruce top has a lot to do with how it resonates too. So the big jumbo top means MORE resonation, but bracing and bridge plates and "structure" -- even a pick guard will have some affect on how well the top makes sound. Under the heading of "you get NO MORE than you pay for" Gibson, Martin, Taylor (and the BETTER Yamahas!) and higher quality acoustics are higher quality because there is a lot of know-how in the engineering. If you try the two extremes -- a $200 "thud" model (at Guitar Center) and a quality acoustic from the "special room" you will hear it. (immediately). It takes a little more experimentation to sort out the Gibson-Taylor-Martin offerings (sans gingerbread). But you can definitely hear differences (in each guitar -- individually). THEREFORE .. a certain amount of screwing around with it after you get it will definitely improve it (like a '58 chevy)(or a 45 auto). So bone pins make some sense -- and hard woods, Tusq ... anything dense. Probably another $500 (of the right stuff) won't hurt any really good acoustic guitar.

Archived