Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Explorer Korina rarity and value

MildAshers

Good evening fellow Epiphonites. 

Bought a beautiful Epiphone Explorer Korina the other day and just wanted to try and gain an understanding to its rarity (or not) and its value. (Not that I plan on selling it).

It's a 2001 model in incredible condition. I understand it was built in the Samick factory in Korea..

Thanks in advance

Greetings MildAshers, 

This is a great guitar. I own one, also Korean built in 1999. As far as value, if it is in excellent, played, original, and unmodified condition, it's probably in the $400-$500 range, but just like anything, it's going to be worth whatever someone else is willing to pay for it. You never know.  There were not a lot of these built during the Korean runs compared to other models. They are way better than any Epi to come from China since then, including the new "Reissue". Mine is a main player, and has been modified with better electronics. Seymour Duncan's, JB in the bridge, 59 Classic in the neck is a great choice for good, thick Explorer tone. I also changed the pots to CTS 500K, Orange Drops, and a Gibson switch and Jack. Not a huge investment, but incredibly improved the sound to the point where it sounds, and actually feels better than my 3 other Explorers that are all Gibsons. It's a heavy beast, and I would also recommend relocating the top strap button to the back of the body where you'd find it on most. Much better balance and stability. Hope this helps. That's a great guitar. Gig with that one, and leave the more valuable ones safe at home. 

• Like 1

Cheers guys. I have definitely seen them around they just don't seem to come up for sale very often in the UK at least. For reference I paid £280 for it which included a good heavy duty hard case, which translates to around $350.

@outrunner you also answered my next question of recommending what to do to improve it, moving the strap button sounds like a sensible move and I was considering perhaps bareknuckle nailbombs or a set of Hetfield EMGs pickup wise. But for now I'll enjoy the guitar as is, plays wonderfully.

Edited by MildAshers