Gibson Brands Forums

Custom Shop SG's Plek Fret Setup- Please help- ADMINISTRATION ??

singlecoil

Good afternoon I am looking at 3 separate Customshop SG # 066762 # 061472 and 3 054072 USED OBVIOUSLY

MY QUESTION IS TWO-PART

1. Can anyone tell me when Gibson starting using the Plek Machine on Custom Shop SG's..Is there a way to find out based on the serial number

2. Two of these have Grover tuners One has Tulip Tuners. Whats the difference in quality or period correctness or what. thanks

not really...we just don't have any sort of records that say "on this exact date we started plek'ing "X" model"...sorry about that. the 1st guitar i'd say was definitely plek'ed...the 2nd one might have been, but there's no way for me to confirm...the 3rd one definitely not.

Admin:: I just read an article on Gibson.com site The article was devoted to pleking saying they were making records based on Serial #s and the plek setup info so if the guitar was returned for work they could make the specs the same as original..

thanks for the link.

i think that the reference in the last paragraph to a "file" refers back to Matt Klein's earlier mention of the information that the plek machine stores while doing its job, rather than a seperate log that tracks the same sort of info via an instrument's serial number. here's why i think that:

1) when guitars go into the plek machine, they have not yet been serialized

2) i am very involved in production tracking...if there was a serial number log related to plek'ing i would absolutely know about it.

but to make a long story short, we started doing LPs in the plek in early January 2006, SGs came a bit later that month, and at this point we are plek'ing every guitar that comes though production here in Nashville.

Archived