Gibson Brands Forums

Transposer

drathbun

I've been playing a few McCartney songs lately and have been getting tired of blowing out my cords with his castrato high notes, so I started dropping some of the songs a full step. But instead of retuning down to D, I've been transposing the chords a full step lower. This stuff never comes easy to me. I can never quickly recall step downs... step ups easy as ABC... but step downs... ugh.

So I typed "transposer" into my Google search and came up with this great little gadget that will transpose a song for you. Just cut and paste your lyric/chord text into the window, give it the start and end keys and it will output the new lyric/chord sheet text for you!

Transposer

Is it really that difficult to remember Dm --> Cm, Gm --> Fm, A7 --> G7, etc.? Even if you write it down? Or what about thinking in numbers: I = tonic, IV = subdominant, V = dominant, etc., then you can work in any key.

Is it really that difficult to remember Dm --> Cm' date=' Gm --> Fm, A7 --> G7, etc.? Even if you write it down? Or what about thinking in numbers: I = tonic, IV = subdominant, V = dominant, etc., then you can work in any key.[/quote']

I guess what I'm saying is having to write it all out again. Now I've got a way to copy my lyric/chord text file, paste it into the transposer and it comes out done in 2 seconds!

Even though I understand what they daid (not HOW they did it), it is amazing (to me) to see it done so fast (and so well). I gave it "I'm confessin" with augmenteds, Maj7ths, minor 7th -- even so it did it in a second -- no matter WHAT key. A capo will transpose one or two keys higher. (so long as you don't run out of frets). Works great on blues (1-4-5) -- lots of blues players like the key of E. I never figured out why. Rock n roll (12 bar blues) players like the key of G and also C .. Doo-Wop players like Eb 1-6-2-5 and sometimes C 1-6-2-5 as well..

Archived