Gibson Brands Forums

Help identifying this guitar?

powerpopper

I know the answer may be painfully simple, but can you guys and/or gals confirm for me what the guitar is Radney Foster is playing in this video? I'm guessing it's a Sunburst SJ-200, but I thought I'd take it to the experts. He's been playing this guitar for a good number of years now.

According to an article in Keyboard Magazine,

For songwriting, Foster relies on his sunburst jumbo Gibson. “It’s an early version of the J-100. It has a teardrop pickguard and a straight bridge, rather than the moustache bridge found on the later version. This guitar has a big sound, and I’ve played it on a ton of my records.”

I'm not sure what he means by "early". I believe the only time that bridge was standard was on the ones built in Nashville in the mid-'80s. The modern logo and keystone-button tuners are also consistent with the mid-'80s version. But those bowtie fretboard inlays were never standard, so it's a custom and/or had a significant work done on it.

-- Bob R

So what is the status of Gibson custom builds? Do they do them? Is it possible to get them to build a guitar like this?

Sure, they'll build you pretty much anything you want. Any dealer can get you a quote.

-- Bob R

Archived