Gibson Brands Forums

Martin Authentic Acoustic Strings-SPs

QuestionMark

At last ran out of my existing stock of Martin SP 80/20 Bronze Mediums.  (I still have quite a backstock of Martin SP 80/20 Bronze Lights and still have quite a backstock of long ago discontinued Martin SP 80/20 Bronze Light-Mediums).  My J-45 since Gibson repaired its uplifted bridge mid last year under warrantee now sounds much better with Mediums than Lights.  So today, on the J-45 I switched to Martin’s new Authentic Acoustic SP 80/20 Bronze Mediums.   First off I was surprised to see that the 3-6th strings from it we’re still gold colored.  From the way everyone was talking, I thought all of the newly named/packaged  SPs would be silver colored.  Not so. Only the 1st and 2nd strings in the newly packaged SPs are silver colored (or as they are referred to in the packaging as tin plated.). Like who cares?  The formerly packaged SP 1st  string was a silverish color anyway with only a tinge of gold color in it while the former SP 2nd string was a light gold color.  Frankly,  when playing the guitar unless I hang my head over the guitar when playing it, I can’t even see the 1st or 2nd string on my guitar when I play it.

Sound and feel wise, the new Martin Authentic Acoustic SP 80/20 Bronze Mediums seem exactly the same as the prior Martin SP 80/20 Bronze Mediums.

Price wise, the newly packaged version was marked about a dollar more than the old version at  the local Sam Ash where I usually buy my strings.  But, when I asked for my normal customer discount, they lowered the price by $1.20 per set for me, making them about the same price as they used to be with the minor former customer discount they would give to me.  So, I only paid $5.29 per set, buying 7 sets.

I should mention I do not use coated strings.  They seem to last a less period of time to me, but I recognize everyone interacts with strings differently.

Just my experience with Martin Authentic Acoustic SP 80/20 Bronze Mediums.   With my backstock of SP 80/20 Lights and Medium Lights, I’ll be awhile before I try the new packaged Martin SP 80/20 Bronze Lights or figure out what to switch to when my supply of discontinued Martin SP 80/20 Bronze Light Mediums runs out.  (Though I’n kinda now thinking their successor will be Martin Authentics Acoustic SP 80/20 Mediums rather than Lights or the Phospher Bronze 80/20  Light Mediums that Martin still makes.

Just thinking out loud.

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff

ps.  While at Sam Ash I tried out the new G-45 that was selling for $1299.  Pretty impressive especially for its price.  Definitely had a Gibson feel and sound and responsiveness.  I’m next looking forward to the new walnut back L-00 that Gibson says will come out in November at a relatively reasonable price if it’s anything like the new G-45.

Edited by QuestionMark
Added the ps about the G-45.

I 've been using the Martin Acoustic SP Medium (MSP4200) for the low strings (E-A-D) and Martin Acoustic SP Custom Light (MSP4050) for high strings (G-B-E) for a few years now and really like this combination. So just now I went to several of the usual places, and it seems that nobody has them anymore (Guitar Center says they are only available in the stores).

So what's up with this? Are these "Authentic Acoustic SP" strings the replacement? From you post, it sounds like they have just been re-packaged/re-branded.

BTW, I have been buying strings and other stuff from Elderly Instruments for quite awhile. Today when I went to their site, it. didn't recognize my account and there was a message saying that if I haven't logged in since April 2019, I will need to create a new account. What kind of nonsense is that? Was their site hacked? Not going to waste time on that when there are other places to buy things. 

Yep, Martin Acoustic SP strings have been rebranded/repackaged as Martin Authentic Acoustic SPs.   They are basically the same, with some exceptions.  In the case of 80/20 Bronze Mediums, the first and second strings are now run plated, otherwise they’re the same as they were.  The tin plating means the 1st and 2nd strings are now silver in color rather slightly goldish.  I used them at a gig, yesterday.  I noticed no difference.  They’re as good as the former ones were.  

I can’t speak on any other possible changes to other rebranded/repackaged configurations of Martin SPs, now known as Martin Authentic Acoustic SPs.  But, I trust Martin knows what’s its doing with its rebranding/repackaging.   I have been using Martin SPs since their inception, so I was a bit concerned with the change, but, my fears have been removed with my initially trying their Authentic Acoustic SPs.  No reason found for me to change.  

Let us know what you find.

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark
  • Like 1

Thanks! It's only been a few years since the last time Martin re-packaged these strings. They used to come in a box with three paper envelopes of 2 strings each inside. I was a bit put off by the new sealed soft package from an aesthetic point of view, but it was actually a big improvement. It was not unusual to find rust spots on the strings in the old packaging and I've never seen that problem with the sealed packs.

Will get some of the new ones and give 'em a try. I'm down to my last 2 packs of the old ones.