Gibson Brands Forums

Tacoma guitars--Question for the acoustic guys

Bluemoon

I used to own a Tacoma acoustic guitar before Fender purchased them. They used to have a reputation of being of the same quality as a Martin--though much less expensive. Has the quality of those guitars gone done since the Fender acquisition. Most of the local stores around me stopped carrying them--I think because Fender's requirements for becoming an authorized dealer were so strict.

I don't see them much anymore either. Can't say if quality is down but would think not. Fender bought Guild, and after moving them around here and there have settled in New Hartford, CT, and the guitars out of there are as good as any I've ever seen! But with Tacoma, who knows?

I have a Tacoma DM10 (dreadnaught). It is areally good guitar. I do not think of it as a Martin or a Fender. It is a nice round hole acoustic which is very well made and has a sweet melodic sound. It is all wood (no laminate) and I had some work done to lower the action (the saddle ) I bought it in 1995. It plays anything any of my other guitars play very nicely. There is an aftermarket pickup in it -- got that about 5 years ago. I do not want to sell it or get rid of it. I do not take my J-100 (Gibson) everywhere -- so the Tacoma is a nice second and they Yamaha is a terrific 3rd -- laminate sides but great sound too, nice fretboard. I have no complaints about any of them.

Archived