Gibson Brands Forums

Interchangeable Pickguards on SG - is this possible?

happydog

I have an SG Special with the standard humbuckers, which is a cool guitar. BUT I want a P-90 equipped SG (blame it on Live at Leeds). Unfortunately I don't have the money it would take to get a used SG Classic, which I note has now been discontinued anyway (bleah!).

So, would it be possible for me to have two pickguards, one with humbucker sized P-90s and one with the standard humbuckers, and have some sort of arrangement where I could just remove the strings, unplug one pickguard and plug the other one in? Something involving some kind of plug-in or snap-on wiring?

I know this sounds like a bizarre question. Any input or suggestions would be most appreciated.

id just say try the p-90's and if you like em more than the hum.

leave em in, if not go back to the hum.

i wouldnt want to be switching things around that often

youd have to re-solder the pickups to the pots every time, unless you have one of those pcb boards (that i think are wacko)

If you wanna see how you like them, grab a pair of GFS Mean 90's. They go for $35 a piece, are humbucker-sized, and give a sound that is reasonably close to a real P-90.

If you like them and decide to do a permanent mod, this site can make you a custom pickguard that will fit P-90's. You could just get a Classic pickguard, but I heard that the hole for the neck pup is very close to the neck joint on a Standard, requiring you to route through a critical spot.

Edit: I thought you meant you wanted the regular sized P-90s. Disregard what I said, unless you end up wanting to permanently mod your SG.

If you wanna see how you like them' date=' grab a pair of GFS Mean 90's. They go for $35 a piece, are humbucker-sized, and give a sound that is reasonably close to a real P-90.[/quote']

Thanks for the recommendation - I'm pretty sure I want the P-90 style sound, and GFS is a good way to go.

As far as the permanent mod, I definitely wouldn't want to route out the Special Faded for P-90s, because after some reasearch, you're right - the hole for the neck pup cuts way too much into the neck joint unless you move the p-90 away from the sweet spot, back toward the bridge pup, which ain't what I want.

The real thing is, though, I would honestly like interchangeability. Not to swap them out every day, but every six months or so. I am thinking that surely there has to be a way to have plug-in wiring or something that won't alter the tone too much - PCB boards sound like too much work.

And you're right - I don't want to pull the humbucker option from my tonal palette. My funds are low and my guitars are not many, and the SG is my go-to HB guitar in many ways. It's just that I really am obsessed with the Live at Leeds sound.

Thanks for the recommendation - I'm pretty sure I want the P-90 style sound' date=' and GFS is a good way to go.

As far as the permanent mod, I definitely wouldn't want to route out the Special Faded for P-90s, because after some reasearch, you're right - the hole for the neck pup cuts way too much into the neck joint unless you move the p-90 away from the sweet spot, back toward the bridge pup, which ain't what I want.

The real thing is, though, I would honestly like interchangeability. Not to swap them out every day, but every six months or so. I am thinking that surely there has to be a way to have plug-in wiring or something that won't alter the tone too much - PCB boards sound like too much work.

And you're right - I don't want to pull the humbucker option from my tonal palette. My funds are low and my guitars are not many, and the SG is my go-to HB guitar in many ways. It's just that I really am obsessed with the Live at Leeds sound. [/quote']

Gibson has made an interchangeable guitar before, it's in the LP forum right now. It was a GOTM or Custom Shop limited edition called the Les Paul Push Tone. I agree, I'd love to see an SG like that someday. That would be great, P-90s and Burstbuckers for classic stuff, then switch to an AY Sig pickup for the heavier stuff whenever you want.

And that sound you're looking for is what influenced me to get both an SG and a P-90. All you need is the guitar and pup, a little bit of delay, just the right amount of fuzz that yells when you play hard and cleans up when you pick lightly, and a bit of reverb. Tube amp doesn't hurt either, but some of us are still trying to push through high school and can't afford one right now.

Archived