Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson 1993 Les Paul

sherpa_man

Hi,

I am wondering if anybody could shed some light on this guitar i have bought.

I believe its a 1993 Les Paul r9 (i have a early email from Gibson to confirm) 

The s/n matches the 1993 Les Paul Classic guitars. In the pickup cavity's its stamped Yamano and also signed Tom M also stamped reissue in the other pickup cavity.

How can i tell what it is? I have sent Gibson a few emails and had nothing back.

Any help would be great!

Gibson

Edited by sherpa_man

2 hours ago, sherpa_man said:

I believe its a 1993 Les Paul r9 (i have a early email from Gibson to confirm) 

The s/n matches the 1993 Les Paul Classic guitars. In the pickup cavity's its stamped Yamano and also signed Tom M also stamped reissue in the other pickup cavity.

Curious.

The Les Paul Classic and the Les Paul '59 reissue do not use the same system for serial numbers.

If the serial number is in the form 3 XXXX it is almost certainly a 1993 Les Paul '1960 Classic'. If the serial number is in the form 9 3XXX it is quite likely to be a 1993 '59 reissue.

Tom Murphy is a well-known figure in Gibson circles and he did, indeed, paint the first batch of R9s in 1993 (first year of production - I happen to own the 131st. one made but he didn't paint mine!).  A couple of things worry me slightly; first-off the 'Les Paul MODEL' typeface' is more like the Classic than the reissue (different font and spacing) and I've never heard of a Classic being given the Tom Murphy treatment (his services cost rather a lot). Secondly I've never heard of a Yamano (Very famous Tokyo Gibson dealer) run of 1960 Classics. Thirdly the guitar has a short neck tenon which doesn't fit-in with it being a 'regular' reissue but it does tie-in with a Classic.

Could you please post a snap of the serial number & have a look in the control cavity for an 'R9' stamp?

Pip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1

Much as I dislike to disagree with Gibson IMO that serial number and, specifically, the typeface used matches with a 1993 Les Paul '1960 Classic' yet it also seems to have a Custom Shop waterslide at the rear of the peghead / neck interface but AFAIK the CS 1960 Classics were only introduced in 1996?...

:-k

Beats me!

Have a read through this little lot;

https://www.lespaulforum.com/finalframes/frameset.htm

If you are really keen to understand exactly what you have I'd suggest sending this chap an enquiry - he's one of the most learned folks on the planet as far as Les Pauls are concerned;

MikeSlub@aol.com

Pip.

Edited by pippy