Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Acoustic Replacement Saddle

ekloot

Hi everyone,

I have an Epiphone AJ-200SCE guitar.  I think it's basically the older version of the AJ-220SCE.  I'm trying to find if there's somewhere to buy a replacement saddle for this guitar?  I've found some aftermarket ones but based on my measurements, I don't think they are quite the exact same size as the original.  Has anyone found a place to buy the original factory saddles for these guitars.  Or has anyone used an aftermarket one that fit really well in one of these guitars?  Thanks.

If you have a Sam Ash Music or Guitar Center close by, you can take out the saddle from the guitar and bring it to one of those and they will help find the one with the correct thickness, but chances are it will need to be filed down in terms of its length or height.  By them or you.  It might be easier to just call them and ask them to size and do a set up for you with a replacement saddle unless you want to try to experiment/learn how to file a new saddle.  It’s actually quite easy.  Along those lines what I’ve done is go to Stewart McDonald on the internet and if O am not sure of the correct thickness for a new saddle to fit, is just to buy both the thinner one and the thicker one.  And, then use the one that fits. They are not very expensive.  Stew-Mac also carries pre-cut saddles, so that makes fitting a new saddle a lot easier.  Even if it doesn’t fit like I desire, the pre-cut ones are a lot easier to file down to size.  Although, I have also bought the blank saddles in both widths and filed them down to size, too.  Once you purchase the correct width, it’s easier to know which one to buy next time you fit a new saddle on a different guitar or if you mess it up.   Regarding the extra unused saddle that was the wrong width, I have always just hung in the them for future different guitar saddle replacements.  

Hope this helps.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

• Like 1

Hi Jeff, thanks for all the info. I actually just was at Sam Ash earlier today doing this exact thing. My saddle measures out to be exactly 3 inches long though and all theirs were a bit shorter. Also, i had previously thought the current epiphone AJ series guitars for sale had the same dimension saddle as my AJ series guitar (which is older)...but it looks like epiphone must have shortened the design somewhere along the way because when I held my saddle up to the new guitars to compare...my saddle was longer.  Online, I did find a Graph Tech saddle that is a full 3 inches long though with the other dimensions looking pretty close to mine too. I believe the radius even matches my original saddle. So I ordered that off amazon and will give that a shot and sand it down a bit if it needs a tweak or two to fit. I wish epiphone made it a bit easier to get original replacement parts though! Oh and for anyone with one of these older epiphone aj-200sce acoustic guitars looking for a 3 inch saddle... the Graph Tech one that i'm going to try is part number PQ-9276-C0.

Edited by ekloot