Gibson Brands Forums

Suggestions for New Volume & Tone Pots

LPmara335

Sorry this isn't an LP question directly...I have an old Marauder that I'm swapping in a 490R and a 498T in place of the poly humbucker and single coil (I'm custom making a new pickguard to house the pups). I'm looking for some suggestions for a new volume and tone pot (the controls are for both pups). Thoughts??

Most expensive option would be RS Guitarworks; they have specially specced CTS pots. Otherwise there are lots of suppliers that have the current version of the CTS pot which sometimes has a brass shaft and sometimes has aluminum. Cheapest would be import pots like Alpha (which are nice and smooth) which would require slightly smaller holes in the pickguard and maybe a different knurling on the knobs. I imagine you'd be looking at 500K ohm audio taper for volume and tone, with an .022 ufd capacitor, but it wouldn't be a crime to use 250K ohm and .047 ufd either.

If this were an "LP question directly," then you'd be getting into linear taper 300K and all other sorts of esoterica...

Archived