Gibson Brands Forums

EB 3 sg bass tone issues

Glynn

Hello, new to the forum, hoping someone can advise me, I've had a little search but not much came up. 

I've owned an sg bass for a number of years, still a very average player but enjoy it! There are some peculiarities with the tone and volume knobs though. Firstly neither tone knob seems to alter the sound much at all.

Secondly, when just 1 pickup is selected (either) the volume knobs seem to work fine, however in the middle position (both pick ups,) above about 9 on either volume knob there is a noticed jump in level of the relative pickup and then adjusting the other pick up volume seems to make no difference to the sound, its as though you've switched to just select 1 pickup. So balancing tones between the meaty neck and mid-y bridge is a bit tricky. 

Is this normal? Can anything be done? 

Sorry its wordy, hope it makes sense, 

Many thanks 

• 5 months later...

Can you run a simple test for me please? Select both pickups, dial the neck volume back to approx. 8.  While strumming Does the Bridge volume work normal all the way up and down?

Now dial the bridge back to approx. 8 and turn the volume up and down while strumming and tell me if it works ok now?

Let me know please. I am trying to figure what is happening. I suspect one or both pickups are affecting the other.

If that is so then the pickups are definitely interacting with one another. A possibility might be to add say a 1.2k resistor in series with one or both pickups so they do not negatively affect each other 

OR Better yet reverse the polarity of one pickup say the bridge pickup and see if that helps 

Edited by Bubbalou88