Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson LG-2 without a headstock veneer or painted headstock

Z526

3 minutes ago, jedzep said:

It's been done to a lot of ladder braced guitars, probably with mixed results. The amount of work this guitar needs, as I tried to infer, makes the price pretty much out of bounds for ever having adequate value, but I know that availability in Australia ain't what we gringos here in the US are spoiled by, so the opportunity has to be analyzed from that point somewhat.

As you say, you can do most repair work, and you would pretty much have to to make it even a fun project. The thing that most screams out to me is the term you use 'wobbly neck', though I'm not sure what you mean by that. Is it actually loose, or just wonky. At any rate, it'll need a reset right off. Is that something you think you can do?

I'd go back to him with my 'yard sale' offer, as I named it before, a couple hundred bucks, but only if I was really looking for a project to play with.  You can find a usable LG-1 online for less than a thousand dollars, and avoid long days in your shop trying to pull this one together.

I wish you good hunting.

Wobbly as in you can rock it side to side with a 1mm or so gap opening up between heal and body, as if someone has made a crap job of fitting or replacing the neck and relied on glue to fill the gaps which has now failed. Its something easy to fix with shims and a bit of patience getting them right. Since its already mostly unglued its not going to put up much of a fight to get it out, I have a jig for doing this which is attached to the guitar and distributes the force as the neck is pushed up out of the joint.

You're very right on the price reflecting the relative scarcity in the local market as I can honestly say since moving to Australia a decade ago I have not encountered Gibsons of this ilk at all often. The functional ones are normally wildly expensive.

I'll outline its issues and offer $350 (500 australian) and see if I get anywhere. 

In the mood for something frustrating and time consuming either way, working in a hospital just now is not exactly a walk in the park so this new wooden patient in the workshop would be a great distraction !

58 minutes ago, jedzep said:

Haha! Good for you. Enjoy the task if it comes to you. You won't even need your mask.

now now kids, always wear a mask while sanding.  You can smoke a cigarette after if you like but its best to keep that saw dust out your lungs😂🙄

Edited by Z526

First off - that crack worries me, because the last time I had a Gibson with a crack like that it was a 1950 J-45 that had gotten hot enough for the glue to fail and allow the neck block to pop free internally on the treble side.  That particular guitar (which had been professionally refinished before I got it) had 24 cracks in the top and back as a result of that.  In the case of the guitar I had, which I essentially got for free, it was worth spending $500 in 1994 dollars to have the neck removed, all cracks fixed, neck block mounted properly, neck set and refret, etc.

I think it's an LG-1 from later in the 60s, somewhere from the era when they sold them with "natural" finish headstock faces.  I bet the bridge has a bottom belly, which Gibson went to for a while there.  It would NEVER have had a label.

If you can get it ridiculously cheap and don't mind doing the work, it could be fun.  Otherwise, keep looking.