Gibson Brands Forums

Firebrand "The SG" Deluxe wine red 1983

Robspartacus

My first Gibson! I was sold when I first plugged it in. This thing just sounds mean.  Bought it last week and I figured it was worth the money. That said? I have no idea what it's worth. It's been sitting up (according to the lady I purchased it from) for over 20 years in a Gibson hard case. Even the case looks new.

I'm wondering if anyone here can help me out. What pickups are these? I've been told PAFs or Velvet Bricks. What is this guitar actually worth? I posted a pic of one little chip just at the head and neck. Outside that I cant find a blemish (but I'm no expert). 

Being I mostly play stuff like Slayer, TOOL, Metallica,  etc... this thing runs like a champ. When I run it clean it sounds super smooth. I have been playing a Epiphone Les Paul Custom silver burst with ProBuckers and some BC Rich Warlocks that summon demons. This SG is far superior in sound quality.  Didn't expect this. 

Any information you can share would be very much appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

20200720_140443.jpg

20200720_140458.jpg

20200720_140512.jpg

20200720_140528.jpg

20200720_140537.jpg

20200720_140548.jpg

20200720_140555.jpg

20200720_140608.jpg

20200720_140613.jpg

20200720_140638.jpg

I think it's pretty cool and is in great shape for such an old guitar.  You should be able to get those nicks touched up by someone who knows what they're doing.

The old Troglodyte wasn't too keen on it but everyone has their own opinion.

Mine is I like it.

Edited by SteveFord

16 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

I think it's pretty cool and is in great shape for such an old guitar.  You should be able to get those nicks touched up by someone who knows what they're doing.

The old Troglodyte wasn't too keen on it but everyone has their own opinion.

Mine is I like it.

I saw his review on the wine color like mine. He spoke very highly of the wine color one. The only difference I saw was the tuners looked basic and mine have GIBSON on them and the bell is different. His bell said "the Sg" if I'm not mistaken and mine says FIREBRAND "The SG" Deluxe. 

5 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

A stripped down model from the Norlin era, it probably sounds really good.  

A much better guitar than that wretched SG II, those things were awful.  

Has a very "TOOL" Adam Jones sound. When played clean its thick and not super bright. I'm really digging it. I just wanna know more about it.