Gibson Brands Forums

Been Thinking About Getting an Acoustic Bass

Ceptorman

For some reason, I've got a hankering (never typed that word before) to get an acoustic bass guitar. I had a Yamaha bass and a Behringer amp, they were ok, but I sold them last year, hardly played it. But the idea of an acoustic, and it's lack of an amp, appeals to me. Anybody play an acoustic bass? Info, opinions? There's a nice used Washburn for sale locally, looks great, and about half the price of a new one. Epi makes one also.

I have not played one, but at the acoustic jam I host (when its not the pandemic), there have been some who have brought an acoustic bass guitar, which always seemed to work well during the acoustic jams.  However, I have noticed that since I began allowing electric bass guitars (through a small amp) at the acoustic jam, it seems people seem to have brought those rather than their acoustic bass guitars.  My guess, is there is a niche for acoustic bass guitars in fully acoustic settings where electric bass guitars aren't allowed, but that the bass players would actually prefer their electric basses, even if through a small amp.    

Just my observations and guess work.

QM aka "Jazzman" Jeff

On 8/31/2020 at 9:00 PM, QuestionMark said:

I have not played one, but at the acoustic jam I host (when its not the pandemic), there have been some who have brought an acoustic bass guitar, which always seemed to work well during the acoustic jams.  However, I have noticed that since I began allowing electric bass guitars (through a small amp) at the acoustic jam, it seems people seem to have brought those rather than their acoustic bass guitars.  My guess, is there is a niche for acoustic bass guitars in fully acoustic settings where electric bass guitars aren't allowed, but that the bass players would actually prefer their electric basses, even if through a small amp.    

Just my observations and guess work.

QM aka "Jazzman" Jeff

Thanks for the input. I would just play around the house. I'm looking at a Washburn tomorrow, $150 used, so not a big purchase.