Gibson Brands Forums

Color code for "Twilight Blue"

• 2 weeks later...

I doubt anybody here can help you find the exact paint. It looks similar to Fender Lake Placid Blue. Got any pictures of the guitar though?

It’s almost always preferable to keep the guitar in original condition vs refinishing. Unless the guitar is really trashed you probably shouldn’t refinish 

On 10/14/2020 at 6:02 AM, Dub-T-123 said:

I doubt anybody here can help you find the exact paint. It looks similar to Fender Lake Placid Blue. Got any pictures of the guitar though?

It’s almost always preferable to keep the guitar in original condition vs refinishing. Unless the guitar is really trashed you probably shouldn’t refinish 

Yeah normally I'd agree, but these guitars aren't exactly vintage gold-top Les Pauls.  It's not really trashed, but there is a spot where someone left a sticker on the front of it, probably for many years, so it hasn't aged at the same rate as the rest of it.

Here are a couple of photos of it, one showing what is probably close to the original color under the pickguard, and the top where you can see it's turned green everywhere except a distinct sticker area--still trying to puzzle out what that sticker was! : )  It's got a distinct outline.  Anyway, this thing has turned green enough that the previous owner actually thought someone had painted it green!

smaller-open-mvx-twilight-bluegreen.jpg

smaller-top-mvx-twilight-bluegreen.jpg

Man that thing is cool. The way the light interacts with the clear coat and blue to make the green color is so much more interesting than any pristine refinish job IMO. Looks very dynamic in the sunlight

I really really suggest that if you are obsessed with having a mint condition MVX, sell this and buy one in the condition you want. Refinishing will only mean there is one less original MVX out there for the rest of the world. 

don’t refinish! I repeat, don’t refinish!