Gibson Brands Forums

Where can I buy spare parts?

james948

That part is called a headpiece.  It's not plastic but rather made from an alloy metal.  Try headlessusa for a replacement.  Another alternative would be to keep this headpiece but use a string adapter... although that would require single-ball strings.

Edited by slowgypsy

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve got one that fits and I‘ve dremelled it to allow it to be strung left handed. 

My question is whether there’s meant to be a bolt that goes through the middle hole of the headpiece and connects to The rod that goes down the neck. I thought I was very careful about keeping all the pieces but I can’t find it. I had a look at some online resources and some show bolts, some don’t. 

Does anyone have an idea? and, if so, what size does it need? 

Thanks. 

Well, this looks a little bit like the Hohner headpiece which I've shown above… as not fitting.  Where did you get that headpiece?

If you want to use it anyway (and if the screw holes align to the existing holes), I'd use it with a shim. Just put a little bit of wood between the neck top and the headpiece.

I somewhat doubt that HeadlessUSA sells original Steinberger headpieces… to me it looks like a Hohner, or better: coming the manufacturer who also built the Hohner R-Trems (as long as they were available). Gibson doesn't sell them as replacements without a service/repair case. Don refuses to do anything on Asian Steinbergers (Spirits and the Korean line), so why should he bother with getting parts from Gibson… some years ago he also sold Hohner R-Trems, so why not also the headpieces.

Well that was an ordeal!

I did it. But I pretty much had to take apart the whole thing. 

I unscrewed the tuning knobs too far which meant the jaws came out and then springs came loose of the tuning knobs and so I had to dismantle that. Which of course meant that the saddles came out and one thing led to another but I put it back together and it works great. 

I mean one thing I'm concerned about (knowing how it works now) is the whole r-trem springing forward off the guitar; it seems fairly precariously locked in place. 

Anyway! Thanks for everyone's help. tbh next time I might just buy the left handed one and have it painted or something because the volume knob is definitely getting in my way!

I wonder whether a good technician could rewire and move some stuff for me.