Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird

Benn c

A friend brought over what looks to be an older Hummingbird.  I am the hummingbird years ago, and this one just seemed a little off in certain areas. The serial number stamped in the back of the headstock is 00164519.  Above the serial number the term hummingbird is stamped in the headstock. Below the serial number, there is a number 2 stamped in the headstock.  It looks to have been redone as it appears that the bridge was removed and then replaced about a 16th of an inch further back than the original one. You can see where the stain ends on the top. I’m going to attach a few photographs and if you guys would let me know what you think I’d be awesome. She is a young lady who inherited this guitar from her grandmother.

09785070-AE3E-4ED0-A454-AA06EF9088DC.jpeg

F0857D97-E552-4857-8D24-63258DE6779F.jpeg

C69B9352-D7E2-4314-ABDC-9B17408023AE.jpeg

EA3846AC-0D3F-4A0D-99B5-C66191A538AD.jpeg

The 2 on the back of the headstock means it was a "second".  Gibson doesn't sell seconds anymore from what I've heard, but they used to get out to the public once in awhile.  A second is a guitar that didn't meet quality control for some reason (usually minor cosmetic).  It's odd that the bridge would be moved, I would measure from the nut to the bridge saddle and see what scale length it has.  Perhaps that is why it was a second, bridge misplaced and then corrected?

Nevertheless if it plays and sounds good and was grandma's guitar she should just keep it and play it.  

Edited by Twang Gang

That appears to be a 1976 Hummingbird. The "Hummingbird", "Made in USA",  and the 00 serial number prefix is actually a decal, but the six-digit number after the 00 should be stamped. The 2 should also be stamped (embossed), as Twang Gang says.

The 00 prefix indicates 1976.

Everything on the back of the headstock, is correct, and relatively unambiguous for that period.

It's otherwise hard to tell a lot about the guitar just from those photos.