Gibson Brands Forums

Replacement bridge for 1970's J45 and Binding

eltonwce

I am looking for a replacement bridge belly down with 2 3/16 " string spacing. Also Binding .125" thick x .265" high. The existing bridge is split and the old celluloid binding has shrunk and is falling off. The only binding I can find is too narrow and only .250" high. I don't need to match color only size as guitar is in poor cosmetic shape but plays well and sounds good. It is an Old Norlin model. StewMac and LMI don't have any thing that will work. Thanks in advance.  Bill

I believe Allparts sells a belly down bridge with a 2 3/16" spacing.  Not sure if it is Martin or Gibson style though.   I have had  replacement bridges for Gibsons made for me by a luthier.  So you could go that route or buy a blank and make one yourself if you have skills in that area.  If you are going to swap the bridge out you might take the opportunity to roll the bridge plate as well.  Those in 1970s Gibson are large enough to qualify as a piece of furniture.  As to binding, I have two 1950s Epiphones where the binding had shrunk and popped off.   Not sure what kind of plastic the binding was made with but it must have been some real el cheapo stuff.  I ended up just  cutting, gluing back down and living with the small gaps.