Gibson Brands Forums

Speaking of the Back Center Strip

zombywoof

So I got me a question.  In another thread I noted that the center strip on my Banner does not extend the full length of the back to the neck block.  As I also noted, it was apparently installed beneath of the back braces which are notched to accommodate it.  The brace where the strip ends is notched only on the side it enters while the uppermost back brace it not notched at all so this would be part of the original build and not something that happened after the fact.  My question is about the skunk stripe which extends from the strip to the block.   I have seen Banners with this skunk stripe on the outside top seam.  I gather this was actually pained on to hide a less than perfect seam.  So is this the case here - an attempt to hide the seam were you can see it through the soundhole (I do not know if it is under the strip).  Or was there a structural reason.  Sorry for the crappy photo but I think it shows what I want it to.

Gibson-Backstrip.jpg

Edited by zombywoof

I can't answer this directly, but....

The only two Gibson flat tops I have where the back strip extends all the way to the tailblock are both Bozeman guitars: an L-OO Legend, and a 1943 SJ re-issue.

On both of my 1950 J-45s, the backstrip ends about halfway between the last back brace and the tailblock.

On all of them, the fit between the backstrip and the braces is so good that I can't tell if it is a continuous strip, or a series of strips. If the strips are cut and butted to the braces, all of them were cut and fitted perfectly. Likewise, if the braces were notched over them, that was done perfectly as well.

On one of my J-45s, the last strip (the one closest to the tailblock) is curling up at the brace end, so it is either a separate piece, or it has fractured at that brace.

The only guitar I have with a centerline back "skunk" stripe is the '43 SJ re-issue, and that is completely covered by the backstrip. In that case I think (but cannot be sure) it is a strip of wood, rather than a paint stripe.

Note that the grain on the backstrip runs perpendicular to the grain of the back, which it needs to do if it is meant to keep the glue joint between the two halves of the back from cracking. Wood primarily shrinks and expands across the grain, and is very stable along the grain. Having the backstrip grain run perpendicular to the back grain is a good way to keep the back seam tight.

There is virtually no gluing surface at the joint of a two-piece back (or top, for that matter) as the back is only about .125" (3mm) thick. It amazes me how well these joints usually hold up.

Of course, the backs (and top) are thicker when the two pieces are glued together, which makes is practical to have a contrasting wood centerline inlay done.

OK.  I just went and looked at my '32 L1 and the center strip extends the entire length of the back.  The braces like those in my '42 are notched so the braces installed over it arther than have the pieces fitted in between them..

Then I went and took a look at the Banner Registry.  Based on photos where the strip is visible,  the earliest J45s and J50s do not have a center strip running the entire length although where it  ends is not possible to figure out.  On at least one of the J50s an interior skunk stripe is plainly visible.  Later in 1942, however, they were being built with center strips running the full length.

Lawdy Have Mercy.  Next thing you know I will be looking inside my guitars for glue drips.

Edited by zombywoof

Consistently inconsistent!

Those "skunk stripes" on the backs are, according to the original spec sheets, a "black ebonized strip"--a dyed piece of hardwood, probably maple.

I've lucked upon the original Banner specification sheets. Cause for a second edition ... some day. 🙂

51 minutes ago, jt said:

Consistently inconsistent!

Those "skunk stripes" on the backs are, according to the original spec sheets, a "black ebonized strip"--a dyed piece of hardwood, probably maple.

I've lucked upon the original Banner specification sheets. Cause for a second edition ... some day. 🙂

That's pretty much what the back skunk stripe on my '43 SJ re-issue looks like. It might be ebony, but it could be any near-black wood.

On 11/3/2020 at 7:36 AM, j45nick said:

That's pretty much what the back skunk stripe on my '43 SJ re-issue looks like. It might be ebony, but it could be any near-black wood.

The spec sheets list "black ebonized strip" for J-45, J-50, LG-1, LG-2, and LG-3. The sheet specifies "inlaid purfling in center line" for the SJ. So, maybe the center line was different for the SJ.

7 minutes ago, jt said:

The spec sheets list "black ebonized strip" for J-45, J-50, LG-1, LG-2, and LG-3. The sheet specifies "inlaid purfling in center line" for the SJ. So, maybe the center line was different for the SJ.

This is a modern SJ re-issue, so all bets are off.

• 10 months later...
On 11/1/2020 at 10:09 PM, zombywoof said:

So I got me a question.  In another thread I noted that the center strip on my Banner does not extend the full length of the back to the neck block.  As I also noted, it was apparently installed beneath of the back braces which are notched to accommodate it.  The brace where the strip ends is notched only on the side it enters while the uppermost back brace it not notched at all so this would be part of the original build and not something that happened after the fact.  My question is about the skunk stripe which extends from the strip to the block.   I have seen Banners with this skunk stripe on the outside top seam.  I gather this was actually pained on to hide a less than perfect seam.  So is this the case here - an attempt to hide the seam were you can see it through the soundhole (I do not know if it is under the strip).  Or was there a structural reason.  Sorry for the crappy photo but I think it shows what I want it to.

Gibson-Backstrip.jpg

Same here. I am also looking for.