Gibson Brands Forums

The custom shop 63 SG Special re-issue..

RowdyMoon

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old thread, but I just brought home a Custom Shop 63 SG Special. Still honeymoon phase, but so far it’s a great guitar. Mine’s Pelham Blue, not the red ones I’ve seen more of online. Super lightweight, less than 6 pounds. The P90’s are amazing....punchy and not overly bright like Fender single coils.  Really compliments my Teles and Strats. I never liked HB’s of any kind, so the P90’s are a great in-between sound.  I’m not really sure about most of the specs, other than what I’ve read on Gibson’s website. Is it worth more than double the price of the regular production SG Special? Don’t know and really don’t care, it’s a super playing, sounding and looking guitar. 😃

Edit to add: According to the paperwork that came with the guitar, it's a NAMM show display model; that may be the reason that it's blue instead of red that is on every website I've seen, including Gibson's. Starting to think maybe there wasn't a blue one in production, even by the Custom Shop. I'm gonna give Gibson customer support a call tomorrow to see if I can get any more info.

Edited by Joe M

Talked to a rep at Gibson who confirmed that what I have is what it should be. Also did some other research and found that CME also has the same model, in Pelham Blue, as mine. It's listed at $1200 more than the Cherry Red one, which, as I said earlier in this thread, is the only color listed by Gibson. Contacted CME and was told the blue one was a special order from them directly to Gibson. Was also told there were a couple of minor differences between the red one and the blue one. 

So, it's kinda like what I said earlier; is the blue one, in this case, worth $1200 more than the red one, even with a few minor differences? Don't know and don't care, I really like mine.[biggrin]