Gibson Brands Forums

Identification Help

wsmit

I joined this site because I need some help from someone to truly identify a recent guitar I purchased.

I think I bought my first Gibson.  It was sold to me as a 1973 Hummingbird and has some of the looks of that year guitar.

The guitar has no soundhole label just a serial number and Made In USA on the back of the neck.

It is not in good condition but plays and sounds nice.  

Here is a link to the pictures I have. I can take more if there are particular areas of the guitar you need to focus on.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/wJRtG1G

Any help anyone can offer is appreciated.

Thank you!

Will in Florida

My dater says 1970-1972. I am not an expert on 'birds from this period.

If it is a 'bird, the pickguard appears to have been replaced. If the pickguard is original, it may well be an SJ rather than a 'bird.  They are pretty much the same guitar, other than the pickguard.

Others here will no more than I do about early 70s Gibsons.

Definitely a Southern Jumbo. Most of them around this time would have had a rectangular label inside saying "SJ Deluxe". Yours might not have gotten labeled. And the black pickguard would have been normal for this era. The one in the pic below has tortoise style but someone might have found a stack behind the Coke machine.

Edit: You can see sticker residue inside your sound hole in the shape of a Gibson rectangular label.

qkkxd69b8ug3memzfyfw.jpg

• Like 1