Gibson Brands Forums

2001 J-200 Reissue?

Rowdy

Looks just like a natural finish version of the sunburst ‘03 that was my main stage and studio guitar for many years. Lovely instrument! Mine had the Fishman Matrix Natural II in it, which is the same pickup but with a little more bass rolloff in the preamp EQ curve. It came to me with no pickup and I installed the Matrix after running an early Takamine Tri-Ax for a while. 

I kept the Fishman in it for the entirety of the next eleven years or so that I had the guitar. It was a really great fit for the instrument. 2000+ gigs, five albums, countless writing sessions and late night studio jags...that guitar was an amazing companion. I eventually retired it after wearing it out almost entirely-two neck repairs, several crack repairs, two refrets, bridge fixes etc. It went in and out of a great deal of plane holds and suffered accordingly, and by the end was too fragile to take on the road anymore. 

I replaced it with a 2015 SJ200 Standard that I bought as NOS in 2016 from a former Gibson dealer who gave me an astonishing deal on it. It’s similarly brilliant...these guitars are just wonderful.

Edited by Jinder